Can i add another fish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mad87man, Jan 5, 2013.

1. mad87manNew MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon tank with 2 green chromis. I had 3 but one died. i had a new heater last week and it broke and went up to 80 then dropped to 56 degrees. ne of the fish didn't make it threw that. The LFS said i still have a chance to get ick. How long should i wait until i add another fish?

2. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Welcome! You definitely came to the right place for help :D

I would wait just to be safe, and definitely replace the heater as soon as possible if you haven't already. Ich is something that can always show up when fish are already ill or under stress, so it will always be possible for your fish to get. I would definitely wait to get any more fish though. Is your tank cycled? How long have you had it up and running?

Also I noticed your info hasn't been filled out or is hidden, if you could fill that out it would help a lot! :)

3. mad87manNew MemberMember

Yes it is a 29 gallon and has been up and running for a while. The fish i had died a while ago and i just added fish again. I did replace the heater and it has been an equal temp at 77 since last week.tank has been up and running for a while. How long you think i should wait? the fish in there now look fine and no signs of stress.

4. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Considering the one died from the heat fluctuation (sounds likely) I would give it maybe 2-3 weeks just to be sure the others are healthy and keep watching for other signs of illness. If they seem healthy after a few weeks then I'd say you can add some more. Just don't add too many at a time to avoid problems ;)

Good luck! Green Chromis are really cool little fish :)

5. mad87manNew MemberMember

OK thanks for the help. I will keep paying attention to them though. They are really cool how they "change" colors b/c of the light

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

If you could fill out your aquarium info, it will help members give better answers.

When you say the tank has been setup for awhile... How long exactly, and was it cycled? Is it still cycled? A temperature drop like that may have an had effect on your bacteria colony, though not enough to kill it, some may have gone dormant.

What are your parameters for Specific Gravity/Salinity, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate?
    If you still have:
    SG 1.021-1.025
    pH 8.0+
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate >0 and <20

As long as your temperature is stable again, then sure, you could add another fish.

7. mad87manNew MemberMember

the tank has been up about 4 or 5 years if i had to estimate.
    All the parameters are stable at
    ph about 8.4
    Ammonia-0
    nitrite-0
    and nitrate is about 5.
    the two green chromis that survived appear to be doing fine and no signs of stress. Only thing i was worried about was the LFS said to watch out b/c a major ick breakout can come from the tempature drop and rise.

8. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Ok, that classifies as "a while" in my books too :)

Yes, big parameter swings can cause issues. If you've been stable for a few weeks, I'd say you're ok to go.

9. mad87manNew MemberMember

i will have to monitor it a few more days. it has been about a week week and a half since the heater was replaced.

10. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with you heater

11. mad87manNew MemberMember

thanks. luckily i just got the tank up and running to full again and just added a few starter fish.