10 Gallon Tank Can I Add Angel Fish?

FaranHassaan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was thinking to add a pair of Angelfish into my tank. Thought so to ask if that would be okay or not for a 10 gallon tank. In the tank I have 2 Sarasa comet, 1 fancy fantail,1 koi, 2 penguin tetras. The tank is cycled and well maintained. Are the angelfish compatible with the above mentioned species?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Angelfish should not be in a tank size of less than 30 gallons.

2. All of the fish that you mentioned should NOT be in a 10. Fancy goldfish requires a tank size of at least 30 gallons while the comet and koi requires a larger aquarium, though they do best in a pond. Lastly, penguin tetras do best in 20, if not 30 gallons.

3. I don't recommend mixing angels with goldfish/koi because of temperature. Angels thrive in a warmer temperature (76-80° F) while koi/goldfish thrive in a lower temperature (66-70° F).

johnbirg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi and welcome to fishlore.
Angel fish in a 10 gallon would be a no- no.
They grow far too large to be comfortable in a tank that size. Please don't try to house fish that will try to grow to about 8-10 inches tall in such a cramped environment.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Definitely not. Angels get very large and require much more space and they are highly incompatible with your current stock.

You should take some time to do some research on the fish you have and you will quickly learn that that 10g is extremely inappropriate for them as well. :-(

OP
FaranHassaan

FaranHassaan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the information :emoji_blush: So I've already crowded the tank. I don't plan on buying a bigger tank right now, selling them to LFS would be a better idea as all of them are quite small at the moment. Also how many fish in a 10g are enough?

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information :emoji_blush: So I've already crowded the tank. I don't plan on buying a bigger tank right now, selling them to LFS would be a better idea as all of them are quite small at the moment. Also how many fish in a 10g are enough?
That is a great idea! You can sell all of your fish to your lfs instead of keeping them in a small environment!

It depends on the fish that you want in a 10 gallon.

OP
FaranHassaan

FaranHassaan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That is a great idea! You can sell all of your fish to your lfs instead of keeping them in a small environment!

It depends on the fish that you want in a 10 gallon.
I'm mostly interested in tetras, danios and barbs.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its not your number of fish that's the problem. It's the size of the fish that's the problem. They will be stunted in a tank that small. And that is really bad for the fish.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in tetras, danios and barbs.
Tetras:
-Green Neon Tetra
-Ruby Tetra
-Ember Tetra
-Glowlight Tetra

Danios/Rasboras:
-Celestial Pearl Danio
-White Cloud Mountain Minnow
-Chili Rasbora
-Dwarf Rasbora
-Emerald Dwarf Rasbora

Barbs:
-Cherry Barb

Other Fish:
-Betta
-Sparkling Gourami
-Honey Gourami
-Guppy
-Endler's Livebearers
-Rice Fish
-Killifish
-Pea Puffer
-Peacock Gudgeon
-Florida Flagfish
-Platy
-Pygmy Corydoras

OP
FaranHassaan

FaranHassaan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Its not your number of fish that's the problem. It's the size of the fish that's the problem. They will be stunted in a tank that small. And that is really bad for the fish.
Totally agree tetras are small and cute. I'll keep them then.

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom