Can I Add An Oscar To My 125 Gallon Tank?

1. Homunculus Member Member

I love Oscars and have wanted one since I got into the fishkeeping hobby, but have always heard that they would best be kept alone in their own tank. I'm planning on heading over to my favorite LFS this afternoon and am wondering if an Oscar would work in my 125 gallon aquarium with my current stocking. I have:

1 Severum
    1 Blue Acara
    1 Convict Cichlid
    1 Hoplo Catfish
    2 Senegal Bichirs
    2 small/young Ropefish

2. ChuthuluFish Member Member

I don't think that would work.

3. MC4RKiller Member Member

Your rope fish unless fully grown will probably become snacks. I have seen Oscars kill Rope Fish like giant worms and attempt to eat them. It is a risky mix.....some folks have done that mix successfully.

Oscar with the other fish is going to be fine...especially if your Bichirs are fully grown and chubby ;)

4. Homunculus Member Member

Cool, thanks for your input guys, I'll have to think more on the issue.

5. ChuthuluFish Member Member

I have the image of the Oscar having rope fish spaggeti in my mind

6. ChiefBrody Member Member

Check on mfk

7. F15FreeEagle Member Member

I would LOVE to have some tiger oscars myself, but I currently cannot do so. Maybe if one day I can make space for an additional 125 or bigger... :D

8. Homunculus Member Member

After thinking long and hard on this I decided to get a Chocolate Cichlid and a Curviceps instead of the Oscar because I don't want my Ropefish to become spaghetti lol. Once I get my 2nd 75g set up I will either do the Oscar or a Flowerhorn. Thanks for the replies everyone.