Can I Add A School Of Corydoras?

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With daily %80 water changes you should be able to stock all you want. You should be more concerned about space than bioload.

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
corylover99 said:
HI all I currently have this:
90 gallon tank
Fluval 406 canister
2 sponge filters rated for 80 gallons each

Daily 80% water changes

10 discus
1 bn pleco
25 Rummynose Tetras
9 German Blue Rams
6 nerite snails

Would I be able to add a school of Cory cats to this or am I capped out for stocking?
You are already overstocked. Grown discus need 10 gallons per fish to grow to their full potential. You are way beyond this. How long have you had the discus in this set-up?

Stephen Hiatt said:
With daily %80 water changes you should be able to stock all you want. You should be more concerned about space than bioload.
Sorry, not true if you are talking about fish growing to their full potential size. Sure, if you don't mind stunted discus, which happens quite often when people put discus in too small a space, but why pay so much for discus and then stunt them.

***actually, now that I reread this, I think that is the point you were trying to make and I read it all wrong. Correct?

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Discusluv said:
Sorry, not true if you are talking about fish growing to their full potential size. Sure, if you don't mind stunted discus, which happens quite often when people put discus in too small a space, but why pay so much for discus and then stunt them.

***actually, now that I reread this, I think that is the point you were trying to make and I read it all wrong. Correct?
I was suggesting that bioload won't be an issue with %80 daily water changes. The issue would be limited space from adding too many fish.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stephen Hiatt said:
I was suggesting that bioload won't be an issue with %80 daily water changes. The issue would be limited space from adding too many fish.
Its hard to change that much water with so many fish especially since discus are so tall.

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave75g said:
Its hard to change that much water with so many fish especially since discus are so tall.
A lot of people do 95% water changes with discus. With water changes that large the discus have to lay on their side.

It's possible to do even larger water changes than 80% with discus, but they're a little more stressful on the fish.

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stephen Hiatt said:
A lot of people do 95% water changes with discus. With water changes that large the discus have to lay on their side.

It's possible to do even larger water changes than 80% with discus, but they're a little more stressful on the fish.
Yep, most of the time when I do a water change I do it until the discus are laying on there side and swimming in circles- my indication that it's time to stop draining and fill.

Disc61

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
not sure that corries are needed as you do 80% daily. shouldn't be anything for them to clean up. yeah, they would look neat in there scurrying around, that is until they start dying off cause they can't find any food. just sayin..

bmize89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 13 sterbaI corys in my 125g (6ft tank) with 6 adult discus. The corys do well and I have about 8 more discus I'm growing out in barebottom tanks to eventually add to this tank. IME with keeping discus it's better to not have a school of tetra or other cichlids with them. Discus are grazers and like to have consistent small amounts of food throughout the day so when you keep tetra with them it's hard for the discus to eat as they naturally would. The corys do well because they don't eat quickly and will eat whatever the discus don't. I never feed my corys specific food for them. They literally survive on what the discus don't eat, but with that being said my discus eat better then I do lol

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom