55 Gallon Tank Can I add a pleco to my tank?

fishkeepernewbie

So, I want to add a pleco to my tank. Not sure what type yet, but I will check out my lfs' plecos, research and see if they're suitable.
My tank is 99cm x 45cm x 45cm.
My current stocking:
9 cardinal tetra
14 Rummynose tetra
9 Black neon Tetra
Cherry shrimp
and I'm getting 6 pearl gouramis this weekend.
So would there be space for a pleco? I'm having algae problems and I like plecos.
Here's my tank..
This pic is before I did some aquascaping, now I have indian almond leaves, 2 pieces of driftwood in the front, and java moss moved to the front.
You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

May be able to throw a bn pleco in there. Just keep in mind, plecos tend to poop a lot.

MacZ

A single bristlenose OR 2 clowns OR 3-4 Rineloricaria sp. would be ok in that tanksize and with these tankmates. Of course comparable species would be also fine.

Tigerburp

Ohh pleco with white sand, you would have to gravel vac more often

MacZ

With sand it's enough to hover the hose over the sand.

I just noticed the idea is to add 6 pearl gourami. For a tank that size this raises the bioload with a hard turn. I would probably limit them to 4 and leave the tank running at least a month before adding any plecos. With 6 the load might exceed what's possible and hence a pleco might not fit anymore.

BVUBeavers

Clown plecos will eat your driftwood, algae not so much. BN is definitely the way to go if you want to add a pleco. So ugly they are cute - but poop machines.

fishkeepernewbie

With sand it's enough to hover the hose over the sand.

I just noticed the idea is to add 6 pearl gourami. For a tank that size this raises the bioload with a hard turn. I would probably limit them to 4 and leave the tank running at least a month before adding any plecos. With 6 the load might exceed what's possible and hence a pleco might not fit anymore.
Then I'd rather get 6 pearl gouramis and not a pleco.

Noroomforshoe

The tank dimensions you gave come to 47 gallons, not 55. with plants, substrate and deco your down to 43-44 gallons. Just keep this in mind when stocking. The rest of your fish are very small, But It would still probably be best to not add 6 pearls and a bristle nose. Though a leopard bristlnose or a clown pleco will stay smaller. Neither fish is likely to help noticeably with the algae.

MacZ

algae not so much
I completely ignored that because I see no algae problem in the pictures.
And I repeat my mantra: You get algae by the root, not with an algae eater.

Then I'd rather get 6 pearl gouramis and not a pleco.
Good decision.

Flyfisha

Hey fishkeepernewbie.
I believe you live in a country that uses the metric system and understand by the measurements you have written it’s a 200 litre tank.
There is always some confusion around US gallons and imperial gallons. Which may explain comments?

The Siri in my iPad tells me 200 litres is 52.83 gallons so I to am confused trying to use gallons and I stopped buying petrol ( gasoline ) in gallons over 45 years ago.

As far as adding a BN pleco.
Just adding another fish will not “ fix” an algae problem . I suggest you limit the intensity of lighting by moving it up higher or turning down a switch . Shorten the hours of lighting on an auto timer and try to lower the nutrients in the water by feeding less as possible solutions to try.

TClare

I have a 240l tank with a clown pleco and a BN pleco, they are attractive fish but I have a lot of driftwood in there and I don't see them all that often. I virtually never see them feeding on the glass and I do have to clean the front glass every week, so as far as algae control is concerned I can't really recommend them. Most of my tanks have very little algae on the glass, perhaps because I have have ramshorn snails and otos in them (the 240 has bigger cichlids that eat snails). As for the poo on the white sand, I agree with MacZ, just hover over the sand with the siphon. If you have almond leaves its difficult to keep it looking white anyway. But yes, probably the gouramis would be better if its a choice between the two.

fishkeepernewbie

Hey fishkeepernewbie.
I believe you live in a country that uses the metric system and understand by the measurements you have written it’s a 200 litre tank.
There is always some confusion around US gallons and imperial gallons. Which may explain comments?

The Siri in my iPad tells me 200 litres is 52.83 gallons so I to am confused trying to use gallons and I stopped buying petrol ( gasoline ) in gallons over 45 years ago.

As far as adding a BN pleco.
Just adding another fish will not “ fix” an algae problem . I suggest you limit the intensity of lighting by moving it up higher or turning down a switch . Shorten the hours of lighting on an auto timer and try to lower the nutrients in the water by feeding less as possible solutions to try.
I am using US gallons. it's 208 litres. ok, the light period has already been shortened to 6 hours a day. So I'm going to raise the light.

FishFiendSP

If you're trying to cut down on algae, go for some snails or shrimp rather than a pleco since they have a way smaller bioload for their size and you can get more of them. If you're getting a pleco just because, then cut down the number of pearl gouramis you're getting as a start.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KRL
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
fishkeepernewbie
  • Question