Can i add a discus?

1. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I have my 125 going finally, i moved my stock over from my 75.
    1 angel
    1 chocolate cichlid
    1 green severum
    1 rainbow cichlid
    1 blue acara
    1 gourami ( willing to rehome if needed)
    2 german rams
    7 corys ( will be adding more)
    With the stocking can i add a discus? Everyone gets along great in this tank so im nervouse about causing problems by adding something but my lfs has the best looking discus ive seen and would love to have one if possible.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't. Not all of the fish can handle the high temps the discus need, and I'd be worried about the other cichlids intimidating the discus.

If you have your 75 gal open, why not make that a discus tank?

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Everything I have read on discus say they do mostly better in a species only tank. Plus with their variety of colors they look beautiful that way.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Discus never do well on their own. They need to be in a group or a breeding pair. They also need to be with smaller fish that will not show any aggression whatsoever (which rules out nearly all other cichlids) and can stand the high temperatures as TexasDomer mentioned.

5. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I may actually do that. How many discus would fit in a 75 along with maybe a school of something. I have also never had a sajica or a salvani cichlid. How aggressive can those be? Obviously being cichlids they all have some sort of aggression and you never know how one will act compared to the next but just in general.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6-7 in the 75 gal would be nice! Personally I'd keep them on their own (especially as juveniles - it's easier to keep them in a bare bottom tank for when you need to do frequent feedings and water changes), but you can stock them with species that can handle their high temps and are peaceful. Rummynose tetra and Sterbai cory are sometimes added with them.

7. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

What would be recommended to add to the 125 stocking. I dont really want any schooling fish. I only have the corys because they keep my sand nice and clean. I would like to add a pleco or 2 as well. In a 125 would a firemouth have enough space to not be a jerk. Or a sajica or a salvini.

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Firemouths live in groups. You could keep a small group in a 125 and they would be quite peaceful. Salvini are very aggressive fish eaters.

9. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

A small group including the other fish already in it?

10. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Well that's a temporary stocking. You'll have to adjust that as they grow...

11. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

If i get a group will they terrorize my other fish though?

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

No, they're quite peaceful as cichlids go. Although everything in your tank will terrorise the Rams just by being there. :)

13. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I was a bit timid about putting them in there but they have done great. Its funny because the florida flagfish i have must think he is a ram because he follows them around all day long lol. How many firemouths would you think?

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Half a dozen would be good, but not with your current stock. You have a mix of fish that won't work in the long run. If you're wanting Firemouths I would remove the chocolate and the severum, and obviously the Rams. You'll need hard alkaline water as they're Central American, which also won't really suit the Angel and Acara. I would stick to either Central or South American, not both.

15. bkaiser3 Well Known Member Member

I wont do the firemouths then. I dont want to mess with my current fish.