Can I add a couple platys to my tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by scharry03, Mar 30, 2010.

1. s

scharry03 New Member Member

This question has 3 little questions. Let me give you the setting.

My tank- approximately 9 gallon tank. If i fill it to the top it would reach 10, but that would be too high for the filter. Inside the tank there is a:
    -good filter
    -medium sized coral tunnel thing
    - tall fake plant
    - one betta
    -there is No Heater

My betta- from what I've heard,Betta's typically do not get along well with most fish. I think my betta is a very laid back type of fish. When I hold a mirror in front of it it glances cautiously maybe just keeps swimming, but doesn't start flaring until the mirror is either touching the glass or one inch away. Then he flares for maximum 5 seconds and swims away quickly.

I hear that a type of fish compatible with bettas are platys. I would like to add 1 or 2 platys to my tank (same gender so they don't reproduce) and have a few questions.

1. Should i get One or two platys?
    2. Would they get along with the betta?
    3. Is the tank suitable for this setup?
    4. If it does end up working out, how would i feed them? Bettas are supposed to be fed every other day and platys are twice a day!

Thank you for your help!

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

You can try a hand at it, but please have a back up plan in mind just incase. Bettas can turn two faced in a minute. I have a very calm female but the second she even sees another fish she will flare and flip out. Bettas are best if kept by themselfs. And no you do not have to feed bettas once every other day. Idk who told you that but its wrong. Feed them once or twice a day with a fasting time once a week. If it doesnt work out you can always divide the tank if you wanted to save space.

*Edit, what are you feeding your betta as of now?*

*Double Edit..lol, this thread might help you. https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-fish/14253-important-betta-topics-read-first.html

*Tripple edit...rofl! Welcome to FishLore!!!!! ;D ;)

*Last Edit, do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I saw on your aquarium info this tank was started two days ago...Here you might want to read this and buy a bottle of Prime. https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    Prime is a water conditioner that will detox ammonia (which will kill fish) for 24 hours until your next water change which should be about 10% everyday.*

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    s

Wow, thanks for the detailed response! It's nice to see that someone really cares.
    I thought that betta were only supposed to be fed every other day or 3-4 days a week from petsmart, haha. I feed him these betta flakes and freeze dried bloodworms. And no, I have not cycled my tank. I only just found out about the cycle when I registered. Is that for even just 1 or 3 fish?
    And what do you mean fasting time? Would that apply to platies too?

4. Furallicah

Yes, once the waste levels begin to raise so will the nitrogen cycle begin and well...cycle. LFS's like petsmart usually do not have to correct infomation. And really I would stop with the flakes. I would change over to a good pellet food like Omega One Betta Buffett. But petsmart only carrys the flake form. So I use the color enhancer Omega One which isnt really any different. And freeze dried bloodworms are ok as long as you soak them in water or garlic juice first. They need to be reconstitued so they dont constipate your betta. I would switch over to frozen blood worms as they are rich in vitimins. Like I said pick your self up a bottle of Prime to help protect your betta from the NC and he should be fine. Remember the Nitrogen Cycle can take up to a month to complete and daily water changes will be needed about 10% will be good treating the water with prime. Also Bettas are tropical fish and do like waters around 76-80 degress F. And yeah I care lol, I have the best intentions of the fish in mind at all times. Nothing makes someone happier then happy fin kids XD Nothing like the little betta booty dance to chear me up. If you have any more questions dont think twice before asking!

*Edit again...I also suggest getting a liquid test kit Like the API Master Test kit. Or you can buy the single Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate liquid tests. Dont do strips they arent the best at accuarte messures.*

5. OP
    OP
    s

Haha, thanks!

6. Furallicah

:;hf Your Welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice