Can I Add A Couple Guppies To This Tank?

1. ornithurae

ornithurae Valued Member Member

I have a school of runny nose tetras, two or three platies (depending on if I keep one of the babies and don't rehome it), And a school of salt and pepper cories
    The tank is I would say moderately planted and I change the water every 1-2 weeks

Can I add a couple guppies (making sure they don't breed) and if so how many?

PS the little red guys are baby platies which I will be rehoming soon 1529608776135.jpg

2. NoLookPass

NoLookPass New Member Member

Tank size would help, but it looks like a 20 long?

3. OP
    OP
    ornithurae

Oh yeah sorry
    You're correct

4. NoLookPass

You could probably add 2-3 male guppies, as long as your filtration is where it needs to be. Are you doing anything to prevent the breeding of the platies? or do you plan to keep rehoming them?

5. OP
    OP
    ornithurae

The platies are both female, I just happened to buy one that was already pregnant. It gave birth in January and hasn't given birth again since so I don't think I will have any problems with them

Also I have an aqueon quietflow (I forget what number but I know it is suited for 20 gallons) as well as a sponge filter

6. NoLookPass

Looks like a Quietflow 10 and the sponge looks to be a good size. I think your in good shape. Livebearers can hold sperm up to 6 months but if you haven't seen any since then you should be in the clear. My only complaint would be your Rummynose could probably use some more swimming room but I think they are fine.

7. OP
    OP
    ornithurae

Yeah this was my first fish tank without just Betta fish so some of the stocking might not be the best but in the time I've had them I haven't had issues fortunately. At least I know for next time I stock a community though

Thanks