Can I add a BN pleco? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fbn, Apr 15, 2010.

1. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

Hello, I was wondering if I could add a BN or other small type of pleco into my tank. This is a 29 gal.
    2 killifish
    2 platies
    7 cories
    1 flying fox or SAE. It is supposed to be a SAE, but doesn't hardly eat algae
    1 GBR

I have a bad algae problem. I bought the SAE or at least it was supposed to be a SAE for that problem. It is far from fixed. Thanks!

2. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Actually, I'm not sure. I'm hanging off a yes, but I think I'll let the more experienced members go for it. Remember that if you can't add a pleco, some nerite snails will fill the bill.

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

The question should be, "what is causing the algae?", rather than necessarily trying to add algae eaters.

What type of algae is it?
    How often are you changing water?
    Do you know your parameters (including phosphates)?
    How long are your lights on?
    Are you possibly over-feeding? (rotting organic matter such as food can result in algae)

Algae is normally a result of the mix of nutrient levels in the water.... A deficiency in one nutrient can result in algae.

The type of algae is important, because certain species will eat certain types (i.e. no point filling a diesel car with unleaded)

edit: Oh, btw, a b/n pleco will require driftwood ;)

HTH

4. OP
    OP
    fbn

1. It is brown algae.
    2. Water change (vacuum) every week.
    3. No, I do not know.
    4. Differs...somtimes around 8-10 hrs. It gets sun light too!
    5. I don't believe. This algae problem has gone on since I set up the tank. The 7 cories would get the food on the bottom anyways. I am 99% positive this isn't the issue.

I forgot to add that I have 1 angelfish too!

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I would get another platy or two before getting another species. The pleco produces a good amount of waste, which in you're well stocked tank might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

What do you have for filtration?

6. OP
    OP
    fbn

Aquatech 20-40 gal power filter. Would there be any other options for algae eaters? I have soft water, so that practically takes out snails. And I believe I have read that platies will nip at snails.

7. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Brown algae is probably Diatoms. They're common in newer tanks, not harmful and go away on their own. I believe most of your typical algae eaters don't really eat them anyways. I hear that some snails do eat diatoms though, perhaps a few snails would make a better clean up crew?

LOL, we were typing at the same time so if the snails are a no go, I'm not sure.

8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Haha that is funny! This tank has been running for around 1 year. I have had the algae for around the whole time.

9. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Bn Only Eat Green algae i think :)
    The sae should eat it, Is it 100% an sae?

10. OP
    OP
    fbn

Well, it was supposed to be! I'm not sure now. Sometimes it seems he is getting red fins like a flying fox, and other times it doesn't. So, I am not sure.

11. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Really, I had not heard this before and I don't have driftwood in my tank with a Bristlenose?

12. potatosValued MemberMember

My BN only sucks my ornaments and driftwood, and occasionally the glass. finer edges are left untouched, as are plants. my one nerite snail works constantly at the green spot algae, more so than the BN. if you get a nerite snail, only get one unless you want eggs that will never hatch on your glass, and need to be removed manually. the BN produces a lot of waste. they dont NEED driftwood, but it is very good for their diet.

If you have diatoms, i would get some ottos instead.

13. OP
    OP
    fbn

I am scared to get ottos lol. They are supposed to be fragile.

14. Sammyboi1993Valued MemberMember

Yeah Iv got a Bn and he Loves the Driftwood

And an SAE has 1 line that goes through the tail of the fish i think

15. blasto172

blasto172Valued MemberMember

Actually BN will eat Diatoms. I had mine in my 10 gal. tank untill this thursday; when I first added him to the tank the glass was covered in Diatoms. He had it cleaned within the 1st week, and kept the glass clean even while being feed algea waffers and dried seaweed (his favorite). My 55 gal. is starting to get small spots of Diatoms and since he's been in the tank I've fequenlty seen him working on the glass when the day lights are off. The only thing the BN didn't keep clean was the leafs of my plants. I got farowella sp. (twig cats) for the first time when I stocked this tank and they have been sucking on the leaves of some of the plants I've transfered over.

As far as the driftwood, while it may not be a necessity I'd say its HIGHLY recomended. Mine spends quite a bit of time rasping on the wood

16. OP
    OP
    fbn

I'm thinking about getting 1 otto. If he does good, then get 2 more.

17. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ottos need to be in groups, so 1 is not going to fair well.

18. OP
    OP
    fbn

Yes, I know. Sorry, let me clarify that. I would get 1 otto for maybe 2 weeks. If he thrives I will get 2 more.

19. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I think the point Jaysee was trying to make is that only only having one Otto, even for a short period of time, it will not thrive. Ottos, like most schoolers, will not behave the same way if they are not in proper groups. You will not be able to know if he is adjusting to your tank or not. He could seem to do poorly even if he is fine in your tank simply because he is stressed from being alone. I would get all three and observe closely. If even in the small group they seem to be having a hard time adjusting then take them back. Also keep in mind that it can take any fish time to adjust to a new home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice