Hello friends,

So Currently I have a 95 gallon tank stocked with the following:

- 1 Angel Fish
- 9 Assorted Cichlids
- 3 Rainbow sharks
- 1 Common Pleco
- 1 Guppy

In case you have any questions about my current stocking,

1) I plan on researching/posting a fish ID thread sometime in the near future to determine the type of Cichlids I currently house (I got them as a gift and can't remember what my friend told me about their breed, woops).

2) I believe one tank should have only one Rainbow Shark but my mom, who knows little about the hobby, thought they were cute so she bought 2 more to give my rainbow some buddies. I didn't want to put them into the tank but she didn't take a receipt so I had to introduce them to the tank. What's interesting is that they're actually all getting along. Sometimes swimming together! Will keep an eye on them though in case anything happens.

3) I bought a common pleco because I really wanted to have an enormous fish in my tank once it reaches adulthood so it seemed like he was the perfect fit but I'm considering trading him in for smaller plecos in the future once he gets to a decent size if I end up disliking the enormous size.

4) I didn't intentionally buy 1 guppy for my 95, I upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 95 gallon and I kept guppies back then. My friend was willing to give me Cichlids when I told him I want to take a break on keeping guppies and knowing how Cichlids tend to bully guppies to death, I immediately tried to sell and/or give away my remaining guppies and was left with one. Surprisingly, he's not doing too bad in the tank. All the other fish ignore him and they're all getting along so it's not too bad.

Anyways, another friend of mine said that he has a Black Ghost Knife Fish who's been bullying/killing his guppies (of course it would) and he was wondering if I was willing to adopt him. I've always wanted to keep this fish when I first laid my eyes upon one but didn't do any research simply because I was preoccupied with other stuff and after doing some research before creating this post, I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. Some saying that they grow up to 30 inches so I'd need a bigger tank and some saying my tank is big enough because they can only grow to about 15 inches. Some say that they're relatively peaceful fish while some say that they are ravenous hunters who will prey upon my fish once its nighttime. Some have no issues keeping them with rainbow sharks while some say that they're going to kill each other. If you guys would suggest removing a certain fish from my stocking (mainly the pleco) please tell me as I am willing to consider changing the stocking to accommodate for the Knife Fish (little bit hesitant about the sharks though). Any help would be much appreciated because I would love to adopt this fish for two reasons. One being that my friend doesn't take the hobby too seriously (he has a betta living in a glass cup and he thinks its totally fine...) and I believe I can give it a better home and the other reason being that this is an opportunity for me to have my very first ghost knife fish!! Thanks guys!

UglyAsian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The BGK grows to 20 inches. Before some new-world Albert Einstein comes in, that size is in the aquarium trade. There are also multiple stocking issues I see. BTW, what are the 9 assorted cichlids?

OP
G

GuyWhoLovesBacon

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That size is in the aquarium trade? I'm sorry but what exactly does that mean? And the issue is that it will be too big for my tank? To confirm, a 95 gallon tank is too small for a BGK?

Also, in case you didn't read the whole post:

"1) I plan on researching/posting a fish ID thread sometime in the near future to determine the type of Cichlids I currently house (I got them as a gift and can't remember what my friend told me about their breed, woops)."

7 of them are from my friend and his dad is the one who breeds the cichlids and since he houses them together. I'm sure they're fine. The last 2 are Damasonis, a gift from my mother.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Sounds like your cichlids are rift lake cichlids, and they should not be mixed with non-rift lake fish (like the Angel, knifefish, guppy) and aggression issues are likely to result ( yes, even if they seem fine now). Sharks should not be kept in groups either, as they get large and aggressive as adults, and will likely attack each other.

OP
G

GuyWhoLovesBacon

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A black ghost knife is too big for your tank, I would say the minimum for a BGK is 145 gallons, actually that goes for a lot of knifes.
I see, thank you As for my friend, I'm not too sure what the size of his tank is but I'm going to assume that it's smaller than a 145 gallon. Should I just direct him to a fish store or help him find other capable fish owners with a tank that's at least 145 gallons and is stocked with compatible fish? I'd hate to see a fish like that be kept in the wrong hands and it kinda sucks knowing I won't be able to take care of one until I upgrade to a bigger tank.

OP
G

GuyWhoLovesBacon

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Sounds like your cichlids are rift lake cichlids, and they should not be mixed with non-rift lake fish (like the Angel, knifefish, guppy) and aggression issues are likely to result ( yes, even if they seem fine now). Sharks should not be kept in groups either, as they get large and aggressive as adults, and will likely attack each other.
Noted.

Yes, I've already started to look into rehoming the new sharks as I'm worried of any issues that may arise in the future. I've been in the hobby long enough to know that even if things are okay now, that may not be the case in the future. Thank you!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are the dimensions of the tank? How big is the BGK currently? How old approx?

Sounds to me like living with you in your 95 would be an upgrade from its current situation....so I'm not going to give you a blunt answer like "definitely not".

If it goes to the Lfs to be rehomed...there is a good chance it'll end up in no better a home than it has now. But it could end up in an ideal home. You just never really know. But I don't think the average fish keepers have tanks in the 100s of gallons and wider than 20 inches. So there is a good chance those expectations will not be met.

Also....a 20 inch BGK is pretty rare. They average more like 16-18 inches. Normally I would discourage this....But in this case...it is more of a rescue. I say take it home and then start your own active search for a new more appropriate home. The LFS probably won't be able to keep it in a 95 gallon until it's rehomed. Nor will the even likely care WHO buys the fish.

As for temperament...I'm not surprised you're getting varied responses. Their personalities vary greatly from fish to fish.

@TexasDomer gave some good advice on the rest of your stock. I'd take that advice asap!

OP
G

GuyWhoLovesBacon

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fish store employees often don't give great advice, because their objective is to sell you fish. We can help your friend plan a suitable stocking, if interested
Ahh yes, typical lol.

Haha that would be lovely but he said he's just going to keep guppies and nothing else after he finds a good home for the guy so I think in terms of stocking, he'll be fine Now it's just a matter of how many guppies he keeps in his tank...parameters too...I better check on him soon...

@TexasDomer and @bizaliz3 ,

My tank is a 95 gallon which is 48 long, 25 high and 18 wide. I'm not sure about the age but he said that it's about 4 or 5 inches long. I want to personally care for the fish to get a sense of his personality because my friend told me he's aggressive but it might be just because he's not feeding him the right stuff (apparently just flakes) and will nom on the guppies because they're a better source of food. Thank you so much for the advice, I'll see if I can adopt him sometime soon and will actively look for new owners who will give him the proper care he deserves Or perhaps if I upgrade my tank and change my stocking, I'll be able to take care of him myself

Last edited by a moderator:

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 95 gallon that is 18 inches wide will comfortably hold a currently only 5 inch BGK just fine! They aren't the fastest growers...so you would have a nice chunk of time to seek out a larger tank. Whether it be a larger tank with you, or someone else. Even a foot long BGK would be fine in an 18 inch tank. Plenty of room to turn around. But bring the 5 inch BGK to the LFS and it'll likely be put in a 20-40 gallon tank max. Not 95! And again...the LFS won't make sure it goes to a suitable home like you would. I say go for it. Give it a really nice long narrow cave of some kind for him to feel secure when the lights are on.

But definitely get rid of the cichlids before adding the bgk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom