Can I Add A Betta Fish To My Tank

Dennis57

Well Known
HI all, I always wanted to get a Betta fish for my 55 gallon tank. I really don't know much about them, but they really are very pretty.
As of now I have 8-neon tetras, 2-glofish, 1-gouarmi, 3-guppies, 3-plattys, 3-plattys, 1-black ghost, 3-nerite snails, 2-swordtails.
I have live plants inside. Temp is around 78-80 all my levels (except PH) are dead on. My PH is 6.0 ( I add ph increaser everyother day like 1tsp but will not go up.
All my fish are very happy and healthy. 75% water changes every week.
Fish are fed 1 good pinch a day 6 days a week, Sundays we fast.
Thanks

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn't put one with a gourami, they're both labyrinth fish and IMO too closely related to not have any aggression issues

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
Thanks, I had a feeling about that. My LFS said that they would get a long just fine because it was a 55 gallon tank

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Gotta love their advice sometimes. Honestly the tank size wouldn't matter much, you could put them in a 6 foot tank and I'd bet money they would still get after each other sometimes.
It is possible to do with care, but you have a 50/50 shot of it working. So either make sure your LFS has a good return policy, or have a backup tank

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Dennis57 said:
Thanks, I had a feeling about that. My LFS said that they would get a long just fine because it was a 55 gallon tank
In my experience it still won't work out. Bettas and other anabantids just don't mix - I had a pearl gouramI and female betta in a 52.8g. Let's just say he wasn't a fan of her.
nikm128 said:
I wouldn't put one with a gourami, they're both labyrinth fish and IMO too closely related to not have any aggression issues
Ahhh change!! I had to do a double take over your pic!

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
Thanks all. Yeah the LFS I go to they will tell you what ever they want to make a sale. I guess in the future I will set up another tank for a Betta.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Its one of those it might work great or be a complete failure. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Your temp is on the low side for a betta anyway.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Feohw said:
Ahhh change!! I had to do a double take over your pic!
Lol, it's so people don't recognize me giving them the same advice to the same problem on multiple threads.
david1978 said:
Its one of those it might work great or be a complete failure. Doesn't seem to be a middle ground. Your temp is on the low side for a betta anyway.
Isn't ~80 good?

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
What temp do bettas need? So when I do set up a new tank I will know

david1978

Fishlore Legend
nikm128 said:
Lol, it's so people don't recognize me giving them the same advice to the same problem on multiple threads.

Isn't ~80 good?
78-82 yes. On op's profile tank is 76.

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
Ok, Thanks. Going back to the fish in my tank, can I add more if I wanted to?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Dennis57 said:
Ok, Thanks. Going back to the fish in my tank, can I add more if I wanted to?
I actually just reread the fish, by black ghost you mean knife fish? Do you have future plans for that guy?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
nikm128 said:
Oh the good ol' profile check, I just went off what he said in the first post
And I missed it in the original post. Lol. If you want to add I would up the number of glofish. They are a schooling fish after all.

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
Yes its a black ghost knifefish, Future Plans?? not really sure what you mean, My grandson picked him out when we went to the LFS, and yes I was told that they get about 3-4" long, (another lie) Yes I was thinking about getting like 4 more glo fish. Thanks

david1978

Fishlore Legend
This is the site I use for quick reference.

Seriouslyfish, planetcatfish and Popular fish keeping uk are more in-depth sites.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Dennis57 said:
Yes its a black ghost knifefish, Future Plans?? not really sure what you mean, My grandson picked him out when we went to the LFS, and yes I was told that they get about 3-4" long, (another lie) Yes I was thinking about getting like 4 more glo fish. Thanks
It would benefit from a larger tank in the future is what I think he means, good on you for filling out the school

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Dennis57 said:
I probably should have been more clear. As said they get really big and need big tanks.

OP
Dennis57

Dennis57

Well Known
I read that they can get as big as 2'?? Yes I will be getting a larger tank in the future, I would say like 100-150 gallon, ( just need to convince the wife)

david1978

Fishlore Legend
She probably would of been happier if it was only tanks. Took her a week to figure out I bought a new motorcycle. Almost a day that I bought her a truck. 2 days for our daughters car. My truck she heard right away.

New Threads