Can I Add A Bala Shark?

Patrick armer

Reaction score
I’m new to having fish, I have a 60 gallon tank and my first set of fish consist of the following

2 mollies(male and female)
3 tetras
2 glofish
1 Siamese flying fox

Next week I’m planning to add more fish as I’m consistently told 60 gallons is plenty to hold more and I wanted to ask you all if a bala shark would be safe to add, and if so, should I add one alone or a pair or???

All thoughts are appreciated

Patrick armer

Reaction score
It might eat some of the fish when it’s bigger. What type of glofish do you have? Most of them need a group of 6+
I believe they are glofish tetras (the common ones found at PetSmart) and yes I was told to get more of them from others as well, but as the tank is still new was advised that I have to wait a week or so before adding more fish.

But yes I’ll be adding more glofish, that’s too bad that the bala would eat the others. I don’t want wild kingdom in my living room lol

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Absolutely not. They get HUGE (like over 14 inches) and REALLY like to swim. A 60 gallon is nowhere near big enough. Double it an MAYBE. But they are also a schooling fish and really prefer groups of 6 or more, and youre looking at a MUCH larger tank (like 220 gallons or bigger). It will also attempt to eat any small fish, like yours, you have with it.

Patrick armer

Reaction score
Absolutely not. They get HUGE (like over 14 inches) and REALLY like to swim. A 60 gallon is nowhere near big enough. Double it an MAYBE. But they are also a schooling fish and really prefer groups of 6 or more, and youre looking at a MUCH larger tank (like 220 gallons or bigger). It will also attempt to eat any small fish, like yours, you have with it.
Ok, glad I asked before I brought one home then, thanks for the quick reply.

Patrick armer

Reaction score
Are you just looking for a larger fish for your aquarium?

No, doesn’t necessarily have to be a big fish, I just liked the look of the ones I saw at the store. If you have any recommendations on some cool looking fish I can add I’d love to hear it. Also, please tell me the number I should add as well, since I already messed up only putting 2 glofish when I should’ve had more. I’d rather do it right the first time then have to remedy.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, doesn’t necessarily have to be a big fish, I just liked the look of the ones I saw at the store. If you have any recommendations on some cool looking fish I can add I’d love to hear it. Also, please tell me the number I should add as well, since I already messed up only putting 2 glofish when I should’ve had more. I’d rather do it right the first time then have to remedy.
Are you looking for centerpiece fish, bottom dwellers, schoolers, etc.? For bottom dwellers it depends on the substrate. You have a lot more options if you have sand (unless you have smooth gravel). Maybe some type of loach or corydoras. What about a type of gourami? Don’t mix species though. You could get one three spot gourami or a few pearl gouramis. I think larger gourami species would eat your other fish. Don’t get multiple dwarf gouramis though and I think one would look very small in a 60 g but you can do it if you want.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can add a TON more fish to your 60 gallon tank. They just need to be the "right" fish. Make sure theyre compatible with what you already have as far as size, temperature, temperament, etc., and youre good to go.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Denison barb AKA the Roseline shark.
Stays under 6 inches but also like schools.
Peaceful community fish .
60g is a little tight .

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bala Shark are shoaling fish that need the company of their own kind.

They are not really suited to aquaria because they are skittish and very fast swimmers using their extreme speed to escape predators.

Most people who keep them successfully have them in aquariums which hold thousands of gallons but even then most people give up keeping them because they jump or crash into the aquarium sides and kill themselves when spooked by the keeper or their tankmates and are therefore not satisfying to keep.

On Monsterfishkeepers one owner describes how he could not enter the room without them panicking. However, another keeper shows how big they can grow with his 17" Bala.

It appears they reach 12" within 3 years of growth in a suitable tank where stunting has not occurred.

Last edited:

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Going back to your original question since the Baka is out, build up whatever tetra you have to 8, the glofish to 8.

Then consider angel fish or gourami.

I would add some corys to the bottom, but that’s me.

Patrick armer

Reaction score
Going back to your original question since the Baka is out, build up whatever tetra you have to 8, the glofish to 8.

Then consider angel fish or gourami.

I would add some corys to the bottom, but that’s me.
I think I’ll do exactly that, thanks so much

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom