Can Horned Nerites Ever Breed In Freshwater?

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have a baby snail in my tank. Only other snails are 2 horned nerites. My plants and moss ball have been in for months and my plants came in a plastic pack, so not from an existing tank. The only recent additions have been a couple of extra cherry shrimp. I do have snail eggs in my tank but I thought nerites needed brackish water for eggs to hatch. Is there any possibility it is a nerite? I can’t work out how a different snail could have got there? It’s just a rcs tank apart from the two (now three) snails.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nerites will lay eggs in the freshwater aquarium, but they need brackish water inorder to hatch. Perhaps take a picture of the new snail so we could id. It's probably a pond snail from the live plants you added.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that's a pond snail. I highly recommend getting rid of it since they take over the aquarium.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wouldn’t it be a lot bigger now if it came with the plants? I got those ages ago.

Oh, thank you. How do I get it out of my tank without killing it? Where can I take it?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No one will actually take it, it's a pest snail. I think if you ask anyone they will say squish it, you'll have a unanimous answer.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
some might take it if they have fish they feed snails to like a puffer for example but its usually easier to kill it

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sometimes, people on here will take them. When you hit 50 posts, look in the Buy Trade Sell Free section

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve got a friend with an outdoor pond. Will it survive in there? (Uk, York)

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fran3112 said:
Wouldn’t it be a lot bigger now if it came with the plants? I got those ages ago.

Oh, thank you. How do I get it out of my tank without killing it? Where can I take it?
if you dont want to squish it (which is what i would do) take it to a pond....?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep pond snail, and they take ages to get that size so you probably just missed it when it hitchhiked in.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fran3112 said:
I’ve got a friend with an outdoor pond. Will it survive in there? (Uk, York)
you could take it there, but these are pest snails and eventually cover the pond/aquarium.

Fran3112

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve decided to get it out and now it’s hiding. I hope I find it again soon before I end up with more!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom