Can high pH cause burns on goldfish? Question 

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, all. I'm really not trying to clog the forum. I posted this question with regard to aquarium salt, and now I'm rewording it to ask about pH, so it really is two separate questions. I got some answers in terms of the possibility that my aquarium salt is causing this problem, but I've also heart it could be pH, so I'd like to hear thoughts on that.

Hi, there. I have fantail goldfish. I've had two interesting problems crop up 1) My fish have started "yawning" to stretch their gills 2) one of my fish has black healing burn spots.

Okay, so first of all I'll address what I've ruled out... the yawning is not due to poor parameters (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 at the highest), and there is quite a big of oxygen in the tank (2 large filters with output above water level and a big air pump). Also, I don't believe it's gill flukes, because the tank has already been treated for parasites, and they seem otherwise healthy and not lethargic or anything.

The black spots are not black spot bacteria or "funguses" such as columnaris, because I've already treated with Jungle Anti-Bacterial food. The black spots also are not ammonia, nitrite or chemical burns of any kind, because ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and I have used no chemical medications in the tank for months (the only one I ever used was Jungle Parasite Clear Tank Buddies, and if there were any burns they would have healed by now).

So.... the conclusion I've come to is, it could be my aquarium salt (that's a different thread), but if not, is it possible it's my pH? My pH is around 8. I'm not trying to be rude at all, I just wanted to make it clear that I've ruled out pretty much everything else I can think of. Thanks you so much for taking the time to read this long question : )

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think the PH is the issue, I've kept a few different kinds of fish besides africans in 8+ ph water. did you have any issues with ammonia previous to this? ammonia burns/red gills don't always instantly show up. That high of PH only amplifies ammonia's harmful effects.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree....the info you got in your other thread, is pretty accurate for irritation issues....as long as a ph is stable, most fish will adapt....

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you : ) No ammonia issues ever. I cycled the tank before I got them and never got an ammonia or nitrite reading. I'm worried : \ I guess I don't know how long it takes burns to heal... I got them from PetSmart 4 weeks ago... is it possible it's healing from some type of burn in the tank at PetSmart before I got it?

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wanted to mention that I found a solution to my problem, and it didn't involve pH. I posted a new thread in the disease section.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads