Can High Nitrites Make Tank Temperature Rise?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Helaurin, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Helaurin

HelaurinNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +13
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I realize this might sound like a silly question... but....

Can high nitrites increase the temperature of a tank? The reason I'm asking is for the new tank that I'm setting up. I've got the heater set at 74 degrees. But the temperature is consistently around 82-83 degrees and the heater isn't even on. I thought it might be the thermometer... it's not. I've dropped two other thermometers - different brands, and one is a digital with a probe - in the tank. They all say the same thing.

Now, if the room temperature was constantly 82-83 degrees, I'd say the water is just keeping the temperature of the room. But that's not the case either. I pulled the probe from the water, let it sit in the air for a bit - and it dropped down to 72 degrees, which is the room temperature.

Nor is it a case of the sun heating the tank up through a window - there isn't a single window in the room, it's in the basement family room, so no sunlight at all. So that's not it either.

I can't think of anything else that possibly could heat up the water, other than something going on IN the water (i.e., nitrites or nitrates). But I've never heard anyone mention it... so.... what do you think?

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,401
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I couldn't see water chemistry having anything to do with temp. I would look more at the lights or filter.

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +1,146
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi,
    No nitrites will not effect temperature.

Filters, powerheads and lights can effect temperature, especially in smaller tanks.

Filters and powerheads rely on heat exchange with the water passing through them to keep them cool. Lights emit heat, which can heat your water.

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,263
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There was a similar thread recently and it was the guys filter. Something was wrong with it. I would shut the heater off unplug it and feel it. If it’s hot something is wrong. Leave it off for an hour see if temp starts going down. What kind of lighting do you use? Led or fluorescent?