Can Goldfish Live Alone?

katep0776

Valued Member
Reaction score
My nan had 2 goldfish in about a 75 litre tank, aware that this is a bit small for them but they have survived and seem fine for probably 5 years. One died the other day (he had a tumor it got massive nothing could be done) and my nan is wondering if she should get another goldfish to go with this one to keep it company or keep it alone so it has more room? It’s a fancy goldfish about 4 inches it will soon be big enough to go into my Aunty’s pond but not yet as hers are huge and common goldfish so don’t want it to be bullied.
Thanks

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Despite what many think, 5-8 yrs is about the expected life expenctancy for fancy goldfish (Commons are a different story). It’s old and won’t grow any larger. Keeping it singly is okay. If she decides on getting another one, then expect a backup plan in case things don’t turn out well, like bullying.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Agreed with @scarface on lifespan. 15 year mark is for a nice healthy fish without a dozen birth defects, which is what fancy goldfish are. There are of course exceptions, but in general if it makes it to 5ish years, you've done a somewhat decent job.

Though I would upgrade the tank to 120 liters and get it a buddy, sometimes they get stressed alone. A young 4 inch goldfish still has a lot of growing to do and will eat all the food in a tank that small, and the older fish may not be able to keep up.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can keep them alone, but it's better for them to have a friend. My two orandas are always checking in with each other. My telescope is often alone, but is blind and I think that makes a difference.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom