Can Goldfish Get Bored?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Coleslaw, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Coleslaw

Coleslaw Valued Member Member

I just got a baby black moor gold fish. He's doing great. I love the tanks with one main fish. However I'm worried that my goldfish will get bored or scared. I know of dither fish but I am also aware that the Blacks moors are not good at finding food. Will my goldfish be okay by himself? Should I get more goldfish?

2. Wet Pets

Wet Pets New Member Member

Hello, your fish will be okay alone , i have one big goldfish and he loves it that way , but if your tank is big and and can take one more, go for it, but get one the same size .

3. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

Question, how big are you guys tanks? He'll be fine by himself.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If you were keeping more than one, they'd need atleast a 55g tank.

Goldfish are messy, and need a lot of space to move.

5. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

I would say 30 gallons for 1? I don't know.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Especially, Fancy Goldfish.

Fancies need more than 55g, and must be kept in conditions bigger than you'd think.

There are several YouTube videos with a family that has two fancies, in a 2.5g tank. But they upgraded to a 29g.

7. OP
    OP
    Coleslaw

Coleslaw Valued Member Member

I have one in a 29. Thanks for all the responses.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They are social fish so getting him a buddy would be good but you need 20 gallons per fancy with 29 gallons minimum for 1.

Things you can do to stop them getting bored
    Add lots of decorations. Driftwood, rocks, tough live plants, silk plants and such.
    Sand. They like to "sift" through it and push it around and look for food in it.
    Try some floating plants. They like to munch on them and if you have plenty of surface agitation (which you should in a goldfish tank) then it pushes the plants around and the goldfish can chase them. Make sure to use fast growing plants like duckweed and salvinia that can keep up with the goldfishes' appetite.
    Give him a buddy. (2 would need 40 gallons minimum) They are very social and shouldn't be kept alone.
    Try training him! My goldfish eat from my hand and do simple tricks like swimming through a hoop.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice