Can Goldfish Be Kept Alone?

1. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

I recently bought a orange oranda goldfish. He's in a 40 gallon tub right now and I have the means to overwinter him. However, I know goldfish are social but I'm not sure if I could sufficiently house more than one goldfish over the winter.
    The tub is above ground (it's a stock tub), so I'm pretty certain that it would freeze over the winter. I am in an apartment building and have no outlets on the patio (which is really dumb).

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You'll need to prevent it from freezing over. Can you bring it inside during the cold months? A 40 breeder or larger would also work.

A 40 gal should be sufficient for 2 fancy goldies, and they would prefer company.

3. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

Unfortunately, I don't have the space to bring it inside the original purpose of the tub was to breed danios.

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, they are very social and you have space so I would get 2

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You'll need to add heaters to it, to keep it from freezing in the winter.

6. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

All the fish and plants will be taken out in the winter (most likely when I come home for thanksgiving break). I have the means to keep the one over the winter but fitting two would be a squeeze

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank would they be in over winter?

8. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

When I go back to school, I'll be taking all my stuff with me which will open up space in the house.
    U may have convinced my mom to let me move the tub inside which will allow the goldfish to stay in the 40 gallon tub. Plus, I'll have an outlet and can run a filter while they are inside! ::crosses fingers::

9. Jess44246

Jess44246 New Member Member

I had a lonely goldfish so I gave it a friend and it perked up right away - almost 2 years together now.

10. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I've decided to get another goldfish. I'm just not sure what type to get. Either a different color oranda or another type of fancy, like a ryukin

11. Jess44246

Jess44246 New Member Member

Go with whatever looks coolest to you! Different types of goldfish get along. My common goldfish's friend is a black moor.

12. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

I'm not into goldfish at all, but I love black moors. So I'd suggest a black moor.

13. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I like black moors but I don't really like bubble or telescope eye fish (I guess I just like the solid black). Plus I don't want a black dish since they're in a black tub so I would never see the little guy
    I was mostly worried that my oranda would swim faster than a different egg shapes fancy

14. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

If you end up being able to bring it inside for the winter, I'd do a black moor too.

Otherwise, I find the standard fancy goldfish tend to be pretty hardy in terms of overwintering.

15. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I'm not sure how overwintering it would work. There's no outlet outside for a heater (which I still think is dumb). The tub is above ground and not super deep.
    I'll probably move the tub to my living room and studiously ignore my mom's death glares