Can Goldfish And A Male Angelfish Live Together??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GrayGray4231, Apr 16, 2018.

?

Can they???

1. Yup!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope!!

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

Can goldfish and a male angelfish live together?? I have seen many videos and things saying they can and some saying they cannot!! Help!!

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Considering angelfish is tropical and needs 80 degrees, and 80 will pretty much mildly suffocate the goldfish... that would be a no.

3. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

How would that "suffocate" it???????

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Goldfish prefer cooler water. Warmer water holds less oxygen so they can't breathe as easily.

5. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

i dont think they can live together since they both have very different temp needs. angel fish love their water warm while goldfish love it cold. technically they can live together but it wont be happily and most likely not for very long

6. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

I got an air pump and whatever a "bubble tube" is. They both came with my new tank.

7. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

They should not be together. Temperature isn't compatible. Goldfish need colder water, which holds more oxygen in the water. Angelfish need warm temperatures or else they get lazy and lax and eventually die. You would also need a lot of space.

8. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

Ok, I am not keeping the goldies. I am putting the angel in the 10.

9. FriarThomasIII

Temporarily?

10. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

As @JamieXPXP said, they could technically live together. As a matter of fact, I had both of those species not only living together, but in a 10g when I was a kid. That was about 20+ years ago and back then I didn't know better and there was no internet, or at least not as widely available as it is now.
    Although they lived together, they were just surviving, and not for very long.
    It seems like you really want to make this happen and in the end it is up to you, but both fish need different care and would be much happier and live longer if their needs were met separately.
    Maybe you could start with one of them and when you are able, get another tank and have the other species so you can enjoy both.
    Good luck.

11. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

no....

12. FriarThomasIII

For a few months, a 10 will be perfect size. Eventually you want to get a 20-30 gallon, preferably a tall variant.

13. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

Ok, my poppy said no more tanks because I already have 3. I can't get a 20 gallon unless I sell on of the ones I already have.

14. FriarThomasIII

sell all and get 20's and above.

15. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

No, I am at least keeping the 2.5 for Gemini

16. FriarThomasIII

That's okay. Anything below 5 gallons is a stretch for any fish, but I guess it works. You should wait for a dollar per gallon sale and get some decent and sizable tanks one day.

17. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

Are they already over with that sale??

18. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Just saying, and I mean no offense to OP, are you sure you know anything about how to keep larger fish? Goldfish and angelfish obviously can't live together, and if you've done any research you should know that an angelfish can't live in a 10. Heck, neither of those species can live in a 10 OR 20. I would recommend not getting either of the fish and doing some more research. :)

19. OP
    OP
    GrayGray4231

The only reason I posted this thread is because I have done research and their are websites saying they can and some saying they can't so I was just asking. Thanks everyone!!

20. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Okay, but my point is your research must not be from valid sites if they're saying that. This is also concerning, "Ok, I am not keeping the goldies. I am putting the angel in the 10." An angelfish will quickly outgrow a 10 gallon, and keeping it in there as a permanent home is just cruel. It's basically torture and it will be stunted for life.

I mean no offense to you at all, but I would suggest rehoming both species if you have them and starting with something easier like livebearers or tetras in the 10/20 gallon tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice