Can Fishlore make it so that members ages are displayed? Question

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements/Suggestions' started by Jaysee, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I think it would be a good idea to have the ages of members displayed with their info when they make posts. Better yet, minors ought to be marked as such. I mean, I agree that everyone has a voice and all that, but when newbies join the forum and ask a question, if a 10 year old is giving them advice, I think they ought to know that. Also, if poor advice is given, I think people would handle the situation better if they new they were talking to a 10 year old vs a teenager vs an adult.

2. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I've been wondering that myself also. I think it would be a useful piece of information.

EDIT: But then again, if someone wants to lie about his/her age to feel more credible, they're gonna do it and nobody would be the wiser. I'm curious what others think about this.

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

People who are going to lie will do so regardless of whether this info is next to their posts or on their profile pages.

I agree that this is a good idea. Right now, what we see is how long someone has been a fishkeeper. We often see children who will say that they have been fishkeepers for 5 or 10 years. Even if it is true, it makes it seem like they are much older.

But there's another issue this would help with as well. Often, when we give advice, we give it as if the poster is making the decisions on how to handle things. If we know that the poster is a minor, we can address the issues better, in my opinion. I know the age of the fishkeeper has nothing to do with what's best for the fish, but I think it DOES change the approach. We may tell a teenager how to approach/educate her parents, for example.

I think that the members here should all have a voice, it would just be nice sometimes to know how old that voice is.

4. LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Even though I'm older, wrinkled and menopausal, I still agree that posting ages would be very welcome. :anim_35:

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I see both sides to this.

On one hand, the age of the person we're talking to will definitely impact how we phrase things and our tone.

On the other hand, we have some VERY knowledgeable young fishkeepers on this forum and I'd hate for someone to discount their excellent advice based on their age.

Personally, I try to get a rough idea of the age of the person asking for advice based on their phrasing, their spelling, etc. Not always an easy task, but I've found it helpful. Depending on how young the fishkeeper is, the tone of a post can be extremely helpful from an emotional standpoint.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I know there are some very knowledgable, young fishkeepers here, and their posts reflect that.

7. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

My responses are in blue. I guess what I am trying to say overall is that I don't want this to turn into an "age-ism" thing, where we discount everything said by people under 16. But I do think that the benefits outweigh any risk/negative effect.

8. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I don't think the issue of age is really to do with the advice that's given. A 10 year old can give better advice than a 40 year old if that child has been atimate with the hobby and has gained a lot of experience (versus a 40 year old that just started the hobby). Also, if good advice is given, others will usually verify it (or in the case of bad advice, others will disagree). That's the great thing about having a community the way we have here. But as Meenu said, I do think that knowing the ages of others would help the way in which we give advice.

9. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

knowing ages in the posts might be helpful, because i always forget there are young teens/kids on here. i tend to just assume everyone is an adult, which is obviously not a good thing to do!

if someone gives me advice who is 13 and has been a fish keeper for let's say two years.....that's long enough that they probably have more knowledge and experience than i do.....and i would def consider taking their advice..... but i would like to know ages just to get an idea who i'm dealing with. ya know?

10. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not taking a side one way or the other, but the argument I've seen against this on other boards is that there are plenty of sickos out there who don't need to see this info. Then again, since members have to have 50 posts to use private messaging, I think it's not so likely to happen given that people have to actually get involved in the site to use this feature.

11. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Harpua, that's a good point. My only comment on this is that the information is available on the profile page anyway, so if a sicko could easily find it anyway.

12. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

My age is displayed on my profile page, but many others' ages aren't. Isn't there an option to show your birthday, age AND birthday, or neither?

13. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

yeah, there is. Those options could stay the same... if people don't want to give their age, I don't think they should have to.

14. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

But if a person is willing to show it on their profile page then it shouldn't be an issue for them to show it in their posts. If they choose not to show it on their profile page then there wouldn't be anything to display in the posts. Everyone should still have the option whether or not to give their age.

15. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

So this would only apply to those who agree to display their ages on their profile page? I don't have a problem with it either way, but it's pretty easy to either lie about your age or choose not to display it. Honestly I get curious about this all the time and I'll go looking for the info on someone's profile if I see a post that stands out (either in a good way or a bad way, lol). Seems like more often than not, people are choosing not to display it.

16. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Your age is one of those things that everybody is taught not to give away online. While on some levels I agree that having your age displayed would have it's pro's I personally don't know how comfortable some of the parents would be... this site gets indexed by google a lot. After awhile we all get to know each other fairly well and it's kinda fun to find out new things like that anyway... part of getting to know the community.

I don't walk around with a name tag with my age on it in real life. However maybe having another symbol on the posts. Like a smiley face, for members under a certian age might be a better solution. Like if you're under 13 you've got a smilely or something.

Just I idea that might make parents and members more comfortable then walking around with a sticker saying I'm 12, I'm 60 or whatever :p

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  17. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

red has a good idea about a smiley or something for under agers. i think it should be 18 and under....since 18 is an "adult". other than the under agers....i don't really know why someone *wouldn't* want to display their age. i mean if you were displaying your full name and age that might make a difference for security purposes.... but there aren't real names here. i dunno. that's just me. :p

18. fbnWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't want the ages displayed. Also, you should be doing more research, not just asking questions on FL and expecting that is totally right. I think showing the age would degrade the younger ones in my opinion.

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

How would it degrade anyone? Good posts are good posts. Good advice is good advice, no matter who's giving it.

20. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

I like the age feature. When I see someone posting something I automatically think they are an adult. There are times you can tell a younger member simply by the way they talk though.

I've only been around for a month or so but there have already been about 3 instances of me thinking a member was older then they are. The only tip off was something like "my fish was sick when I got home from school." or "my parents won't let me get a bigger tank." etc........ Not that I have a problem with younger members though, it's just an observation.

I have been keeping fish for about 20-25 years now and I am 30. Even with all those years behind me I still consider myself a newbie. That's because even though I had tanks, I never really did research on them and kind of just bought fish I liked. I had a basic understanding of things but not too much. It's only in the past year that I've actually been spending quality time in the hobby.

Say someone joins the forum to ask a question. They get an answer right away and follow the instructions posted. The only thing is that that answer was WRONG and all the fish die. It could have came from a kid or an adult. If this happens then it's the original posters fault for acting too quickly. It's best to see a bunch of replies to your question and go with whatever the majority is saying. I understand the original posters haste in trying to get the problem resolved but you just can't take one person's answer and go with it all the time.

My rambling above may be contradictory, but what I'm trying to say is that an age feature might be a good idea. Even if it's not implemented, a person should still search for advice and not rely on just what one person wrote. If you had a medical problem you might go for a second opinion, right? Why not do the same here?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice