Can fish tank water make u sick

GouramisAreSuperior

Reactions
my finger has a sore spot under and i heard fish tanks have mycobacterium and i dont want leprosy or tuberculosis

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
I hope not! I’ve gotten covered in tank water because the siphon slipped too many times to count!

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Yours is a very common concern and is often discussed. The general consensus has always been; The chances of a human contracting an infectious disease from conducting aquarium maintenance is extremely remote.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
I also asked this once haha the consensus was that no, there’s no worries. I’ve stuck my hands in with cuts on my hands multiple times now

Madchild57

Reactions
Experience
2 years
GouramisAreSuperior said:
my finger has a sore spot under and i heard fish tanks have mycobacterium and i dont want leprosy or tuberculosis
Mycobacterium is fish tanks is pretty uncommon, you're most likely fine. Plus there's the old saying that bacteria grow on surfaces and not in the water. I'm not sure if that applies to non-nitrifying bacteria though

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Bacteri
Madchild57 said:
Mycobacterium is fish tanks is pretty uncommon, you're most likely fine. Plus there's the old saying that bacteria grow on surfaces and not in the water. I'm not sure if that applies to non-nitrifying bacteria though
Bacteria are everywhere. In the water but also on your cellphone, keyboard you're typing on right now, pets, and in fact everything you touch or handle.

Nobody is asking if he/she should leave his / her cellphone cause there is a cut / wound.
There are a lot of other issues in the world that give a bigger chance of disaster.
Traffic for instance.

Keep it clean, sanatize and things will be okay. Live your life !

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reactions
Do not work in tank if you have open cuts
Skin is our first immunity and the largest organ of the body

I had open scratches 6 weeks ago(?) due to poison ivy. Horrible weeping wounds until I got it under control.
I could only use the vacuum at surface, no deep tank maintenance ( which I fine as I usually do a deep clean 1st of the month.)

that was for me and the fishes health because I was using so many meds to control scratching.

If area needs a band aid, the it needs anti-antibiotic ointment imo. I also like q tip dipped in hydrogen perixoide for a few seconds, a trick I learned from wearing earrings when I was younger.

If tissue is red, it's infected - see medical professional.

normal soap & water kills most germs on your skin, just rub area at least 20 seconds, soap and friction (pressure contact) combined is what does the trick.

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
I always have little cuts and scratches on my arms from working at a barn. I always have my hands and arms in my tanks and so far have never had a problem. :)

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
4 years
I just make sure i always scrub my hands real good before and after tank maintenance. Especially the after part if i have cuts. Though days like today when i do an oil change then fish tank maintenance...fish don't need that motor oil, either.

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reactions
I often have cuts on my hands during maintenance . . . I’ve also taken a few drinks of tank water when siphoning. . . I’m still kickin. . .

I would recommend not spilling excel into a cut. . . stings, like a lot.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom