Can Fish Learn The Behavior Of Other Fish?

Blaze

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just curious if anyone has witnessed or heard anything about fish learning the behavior of another fish species and mimic that fish's behavior, perhaps they do so for survival?

I only ask because I have a river chub who has been living with my African Cichlids for about 4 months and has now begun swimming with my African Cichlids and displaying the same behaviors of them.

Sean Smith

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Paradise fish and Bettas . But they are pretty similar in how they act and in the same family. Took a risk with my soriority tank and put in a few female paradise fish . Besides being bigger and less aggressive . They still flare and chase a little at first and actually really get along with Bettas . It’s so weird how well my Bettas and them got along .

Lacey D

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blaze said:
Just curious if anyone has witnessed or heard anything about fish learning the behavior of another fish species and mimic that fish's behavior, perhaps they do so for survival?

I only ask because I have a river chub who has been living with my African Cichlids for about 4 months and has now begun swimming with my African Cichlids and displaying the same behaviors of them.
My female betta seems to think she's an endler every once and a while. But the endler never make the mistake of thinking she's one of them

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom