Can fish handle the vibrations of a dishwasher?

oodelally

I currently have a 15g on my kitchen counter above a broken dishwasher that is just about to be replaced. Currently there is only shrimp in there but I wanted to add something else in the near future, but I’m worried about how running a dishwasher a few times a week will effect them.

This really is the best spot for it, otherwise I would have to buy and move in new furniture to put it on, and it’s current location makes water changes easier since it’s right next to the sink and I can drain the water right into it. I severely injured my back last year and I ended up having to give all my fish away, and I’m still at the point where it’s more important not to carry around gallons of water regularly than it is to have fish. The most I can do is slide it over from directly on top of the dishwasher to the cabinet next to it. If the shrimp can’t handle it either, I’ll have to find them another home too but I'm hoping it at least won’t bother them.

Am I thinking to much into it? Or would it only be a problem with certain fish?

Flyfisha

Hi oodelally,
The question of having fish on a refrigerator came up the other day. Lots of people had the opinion that the fish would be stressed. They are entitled to that opinion.

Personally I think a fish tank on a dishwasher is fine.
I say just do it, especially with your medical situation. Don’t worry about anyone that disagrees.

Enjoy your fish.

Upvote 0

Kittiuskattus

Tbh I have allsorts in our 40l above the dishwasher which is next to the washing machine. We use the tank as a sick bay/spare/from breeder tank/ clean up crew for our other 4 tanks and plants that we move around. They are not bothered by it at all!! The only thing they don't like is if you bang the sideboard accidentally, bit that would make me jump too!! Although shrimp etc are painted to be fairies, they are most certainly not. As long as water parameters are good they are the toughest little things going, same goes for other species too. They are not broken or have a near broken back or have ms like me, they take life in their stride. A dishwasher doesn't give out much especially models from the last 4/6 years, I think you'll be OK!

Upvote 0

A201

Fish & Inverts thrive in roaring rivers & streams. The vibration of water crashing over rocks is probably much greater than the vibration made by a dishwasher. Lol.
I agree with the above listed comments, should be no problem keeping your aquarium on the kitchen counter.

Upvote 0

jaysurf7

I would say it should be fine also, just like in the wild there's all sorts of vibrations in the water, currents fish adapt to them. Even in a house when vacuuming and trucks passing near the window causing vibrations the fish get used to it.

Upvote 0

SparkyJones

Newer dishwashers are surprisingly quiet and don't vibrate much, if it's under the counter the tank is on there likely won't be any vibration reaching the tank.
I'd say that is going to be fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
sfsamm
Replies
Views
ystrout