Can fish go in?

1. soccermatt Member Member

Hi,
    I am currently cycling my tank with fish food and am on the 9th day. Ammonia levels are going down and Nitrite levels are rising. I added live plants a day ago, and they seem to be doing well. In a about a week i was hoping to add a shoal of cherry barbs, but i suspect that my tank won't have completely finished cycling. First of all i know cherry barbs are supposed to be kept in shoals of 6 or more, so i was hoping to add 6. Would this be too much to start, so could i just add 3 to start then more once the tanks cycling has stabilized. Also what should i do in terms of maintenance to give the new fish the best conditions possible, with still slightly elevated nitrite.
    Thanks

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't advise adding fish yet. Your tank isn't cycled yet.
    To be safe for fish, your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites with some nitrates.
    The best condition does not include slightly elevated nitrites.

When it is cycled, add fish slowly so the bacteria has a chance to catch up. I'd do 3 watch the parameters, if they stay stable, add the other 3.

3. clownloachy Initiate Member

6 cherry barbs would be fine, but i would wait until the cycle is completly over before adding fish. no good will come from it. (trust me, i know;)

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Wait until the cycle is stable for 3 days before adding any fish then I would advise adding the first 3 then the second 3.

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I agree with the above posters. If you add the fish now, before it is cycled, you'll have to do daily pwc. The nitrites will stress your fish and may kill them. The daily pwc will delay the cycle even longer.

You're doing really well so far with your fishless cycle. Don't jump the gun or all your patience thus far will be wasted. :) Good luck!

6. kelsangdol Member Member

I wouldn't risk it in case there was some sort of spike and nobody was home to check it could be pretty harsh to the fish

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

matt, hang in there! you are so close to completing your fishless cycle. just let it happen! (*rah rah rah, cheering you on, loads of encouragment coming your way*)

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:party0011:
    I agree!! Hang in there! You're so close!

9. shih-tzu mom Well Known Member Member

Hi: i agree with Lucy and Meenue; Just haver a little more patience and it will happen-and then your fishies will be safe and sound-Good Luck-bella