can fish get diarrhea?

1. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

My black Molly (Vader) seems to have been pooping all day, I know she's not constipated cuz I've seen the poop come out and more appear practically all day. Her butthole looks almost swollen sticking out a little and staying very round even when no poo is there.

2. toosie Well Known Member Member

What color is the poop? Do you see anything protruding out of her anus when she isn't actually pooping?
    How long has she been like this?
    Is she still eating and acting normally?

3. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

It's a light tan colour, same as it has been since I got her, though at some points it gets much lighter, almost clear. been like this since I woke up this morning at least. She wasn't doing it last night when I went to bed.

She's eating lots, even other fish poop, pretty much anything she sees she tries to eat, including the fake plants and air hose that's down the side of the tank but that seems to be normal for her, at least it has been as long as I've had her, and acting the same as usual except twice today she has just like, settled on the gravel for a minute or so, but I think that's to keep my male balloon molly(Stripper) away from there. He has been nipping at her there ever since they met 2 weeks or so ago. I've tried everything I can think of to stop him but he keeps doing it, and she barely reacts to him ever. Stripper has been pulling the poo out of Vader and eating it every chance he gets from day one, so today he has really been after her, I took him out for a few hours, put him in a glass fish bowl, to give her a break. I have tried putting stripper in a large net in the tank, and in a separate tank for awhile, even took them all out and rearranged things and put the fish back in, but he refuses to leave her alone.

No I don't see anything protruding from her anus, but like I said her anus looks slightly swollen, and is ever so slightly bumped out, and staying "open"

The only thing that has changed in the last 48 hours is I changed from aqueon water conditioner with partial water changes to using Prime as I was told it is a much better product.

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

Truthfully I haven't ever seen a fish with quite these symptoms before. I think the first thing I would do is withhold feedings for 2 or 3 days to give her digestive tract a bit of a break, and see if things improve at that point.

Keep an eye on her poop in the mean time as well as any other symptoms she has.

Keep us up to date on how things go for her.

5. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

She's still doing it. I put her in my fishbowl to stop her from getting the food with everyone else, and she's still doing it. She is eating the algae slime stuff on the rocks and plant so her poo is a much lighter colour, but still pooing all day...

6. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

I wonder if it's internal parasites. I don't know and I'm starting to research it now. I have a platy now that is doing the same thing....eating everything in sight and "pooing" within minutes. It's a light color.

Like I said, I don't know and I'm just now starting to research it. Might be worth looking into though.

7. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

I can't do much research, I only have 1gb of data on my phone a month and I don't have a computer. My anxiety prevents me from going to the library for research. if you find anything please let me know.

8. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you access to the Library? Use their computer.

9. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

As I said, my anxiety prevents me from accessing the library. To many people. I don't go to public places very much.