Can fish disease re-emerge after seemingly being cured?

NDFishes

Hello everyone!

I was recently smashed by a nasty case of rapidly fatal internal columnaris about a month ago in my 55 gallon aquarium. It reduced my 45 tetras down to 17 before I could successfully treat it with an antibiotic and put a stop to the deaths. For the past month, all the surviving fish have been fine. Eating, swimming well, and brightly colored.

Today, two more fish have died very suddenly, in much the same way as before - no symptoms, just sudden death out of nowhere, pretty standard for the internal columnaris I saw before.

My question is, how often do we see a re-emergence of disease after it was seemingly eradicated? Is this even possible if the disease was effectively treated? Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks! :)

Cherryshrimp420

Hello everyone!

I was recently smashed by a nasty case of rapidly fatal internal columnaris about a month ago in my 55 gallon aquarium. It reduced my 45 tetras down to 17 before I could successfully treat it with an antibiotic and put a stop to the deaths. For the past month, all the surviving fish have been fine. Eating, swimming well, and brightly colored.

Today, two more fish have died very suddenly, in much the same way as before - no symptoms, just sudden death out of nowhere, pretty standard for the internal columnaris I saw before.

My question is, how often do we see a re-emergence of disease after it was seemingly eradicated? Is this even possible if the disease was effectively treated? Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks! :)
Those bacteria are naturally found in the water column. When fish become stressed their immune systems weaken and allow various pathogens to take hold. So find the source of stress, including water quality. If water quality goes down, all sorts of diseases will appear.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
endlercollector
Replies
Views
tenshichan82
Replies
Views