55 Gallon Tank Can fish be sad

CatBlue

Reaction score
Hello everyone so I am new here but not new to the fish world I just upgraded to a 55 Gallon Tank for my 4 goldfish two of my gold fish I have had for 2 years now my one fish lost his girlfriend or boyfriend as I am not sure what my fish is anyways my fish died when we were out of town last year and my one fish has not been himself
since then my fish is like sad so my question is can fish get sad? he was better for a long time when I got the new fish but it's like he knows it's not the same kind of fish as him
so can he be sad?

Attachments

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Might not be a popular opinion, but I don't believe fish can become "sad." I'd be more concerned whether or not it's ill. We are going to need a lot more information from you, like how is it behaving exactly? When you transferred the fish, did you keep the same filter or filter media? Water parameters? Do you know how your other fish died? Also, pic isn't working but when you get it figured out, several clear pics would be very helpful.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Scarface. I think that some animals know when their mate, baby, or "friend" is dead, and some "mourn" (cows over dead calves, deer over lost fawns, doves over their mate). But I think that some of that is humans looking at a situation with our understanding and projecting OUR reaction onto the situation.

The deer is willing her fawn to get up, but doesn't necessarily know it is dead (it is just laying down and not moving). The cow is the same with her calf, and so is the dove.

I'm not saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to have emotions, just that they ARE generally less complex animals and their brains don't work the same as ours.

I don't want to offend anyone, just my opinion on the matter. (I feel sad for my fish when they die or are sick, I'm not totally heartless LOL)

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am not too sure but what I do believe is that fish respond to stimuli. What I mean is that it may not be sadness per say but it is something similar.
Example, a fish might seem "down" if it's water quality is bad or if it is in an empty tank with no stimuation. However the fish being "sad" is how we interpret it in our human brains while comparing it to our human emotions.
Their brains may be wired differently but it could be the "fish equivalent" of sadness.
As for your fish, my it needs a change in environment or something similar so it can interact or explore.
Edit: I cannot see your picture. Are you sure that your fish is not ill?

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zeon said:
I am not too sure but what I do believe is that fish respond to stimuli. What I mean is that it may not be sadness per say but it is something similar.
Example, a fish might seem "down" if it's water quality is bad or if it is in an empty tank with no stimuation. However the fish being "sad" is how we interpret it in our human brains while comparing it to our human emotions.
Their brains may be wired differently but it could be the "fish equivalent" of sadness.
As for your fish, my it needs a change in environment or something similar so it can interact or explore.
Edit: I cannot see your picture. Are you sure that your fish is not ill?
That is a great point. Fish hide or clamp their find when stressed by something and can look "sad" because of it.

Zeon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sanderguy777 said:
That is a great point. Fish hide or clamp their find when stressed by something and can look "sad" because of it.
Example I have these three fish who have for years swam together, ate together and rest in the same side of the tank together.
I decided to move one to a cycled tank by itself until I could get them a larger tank. The lone fish proceeded to freak out for days. Nothing was wrong with his tank but the fish was quite freaked out.
Out of curioisity, I removed him and put another fish in. That fish was much calmer. When I got the larger tank, I put all the fish back together. They are still together and like to be extremely close to each other when they rest and when they swim.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Zeon said:
Example I have these three fish who have for years swam together, ate together and rest in the same side of the tank together.
I decided to move one to a cycled tank by itself until I could get them a larger tank. The lone fish proceeded to freak out for days. Nothing was wrong with his tank but the fish was quite freaked out.
Out of curioisity, I removed him and put another fish in. That fish was much calmer. When I got the larger tank, I put all the fish back together. They are still together and like to be extremely close to each other when they rest and when they swim.
Interesting. I wonder if it would have been different if he had ANY other fish, or one if his same species...

New Threads