Can Fish Be Instinctively Scared Of A Bigger Fish

Bodacious
my community fish are terrified of my jewel cichlid even though he doesn’t do anything, he’ll just be swimming minding his own business and the other fish dart right out of his way as fast as possible, he’s never even nipped at their tails before or have done anything, he’s not aggressive at all

Bryangar
Yup, a bigger fish has the possibility of eating them. Also, a jewel is a really aggressive cichlid. What other tank mates is it with?

tetratetris
I geuss so, i'd be scared (Or at least intimidated) If a 10ft tall body builder game over lol

WTFish?
Yep, I was going to say the same ^^, I mean when I’m in the ocean I too get a bit startled by a giant fish bigger than me swimming by, even when it turns out to be a harmless one. Lol And I don’t believe your average aquarium fish has the ability to decipher that logic. It will still stress them...

CanadianFishFan
My minnows could care less and guppys when my gouramis swim past. (Mind you the gourami never chases them, even if there in his territory.) But bettas... They flare at things bigger then them thinking they will win... My bettas flare at my big leopard gecko....

snowballPLECO
When you build an aggressive tank, I have 2 of them, a 125 and a 55 gallon you need the fish to be all the same size and grow together otherwise you'll have huge issues. You'll still get aggression, but it should be lessened by the fact they're all the same size and can fend for themselves unless they're extremely docile inherently.

I have a 125g with

1 Blood Parrot
1 Rainbow Shark
1 SNowball pleco
2 Firemouths(paired)
2 Angels
2 Oscars
1 Green Terror
1 syno squeeker catfish

they've all grown up together and don't really have any issues other than some chasing here and there but the key is to have them be the same size growing up together.

Let's say you have a 7 inch Oscar, if you put a 3 inch Green Terror in there, the oscar will dominate it without fail

Fishaholic58
When you build an aggressive tank, I have 2 of them, a 125 and a 55 gallon you need the fish to be all the same size and grow together otherwise you'll have huge issues. You'll still get aggression, but it should be lessened by the fact they're all the same size and can fend for themselves unless they're extremely docile inherently.

I have a 125g with

1 Blood Parrot
1 Rainbow Shark
1 SNowball pleco
2 Firemouths(paired)
2 Angels
2 Oscars
1 Green Terror
1 syno squeeker catfish

they've all grown up together and don't really have any issues other than some chasing here and there but the key is to have them be the same size growing up together.

Let's say you have a 7 inch Oscar, if you put a 3 inch Green Terror in there, the oscar will dominate it without fail
I love blood parrots. They are soooo adorable. Good choice.

Dch48
Fish being afraid of a bigger fish is a survival instinct. Just because the big one has never attacked them doesn't mean it never will.

FishGirl38
I agree with where-ever it was said that jewel cichlids are aggressive.

Though yours may not show signs of typical aggression yet, don't be fooled. How big is he now? He'll max out at around 6in long and 2in tall. and what other fish do you have in the tank with him?

Bodacious
I agree with where-ever it was said that jewel cichlids are aggressive.

Though yours may not show signs of typical aggression yet, don't be fooled. How big is he now? He'll max out at around 6in long and 2in tall. and what other fish do you have in the tank with him?
2 giant danios
2 gouramis (blue and gold)
Dojo loach
Rhino pleco

And estimating id say he’s about 3 inches now

No nvm he’s a little over 2 inches

FishGirl38
No nvm he’s a little over 2 inches
Okay, so essentially, all of the fish that're in the tank are larger than he is? or smaller than him?

Giant Danio's will get 4in long (at least-if not larger).
Gourami, Will max out at about 4-5in.
The Dojo won't be in much danger, sifting and digging through the bottom, he'll get about 1/2+ in diameter and 8-12in long.
And I've actually never heard of a rhino pleco, sounds neat (and probably fine with your jewel as long as he's not a dwarf species)

Your jewel is just a juvenile. Though you stocked smart to have a jewel in there, all of the fish you have with him SHOULD get big enough to not become food for him. You may see some chasing as the jewel gets bigger, but I think you'll be okay in those terms.

I was assuming you had tetra and guppy in there with him.

Bodacious
Okay, so essentially, all of the fish that're in the tank are larger than he is? or smaller than him?

Giant Danio's will get 4in long (at least-if not larger).
Gourami, Will max out at about 4-5in.
The Dojo won't be in much danger, sifting and digging through the bottom, he'll get about 1/2+ in diameter and 8-12in long.
And I've actually never heard of a rhino pleco, sounds neat (and probably fine with your jewel as long as he's not a dwarf species)

Your jewel is just a juvenile. Though you stocked smart to have a jewel in there, all of the fish you have with him SHOULD get big enough to not become food for him. You may see some chasing as the jewel gets bigger, but I think you'll be okay in those terms.

I was assuming you had tetra and guppy in there with him.
Thanks and a rhino pleco is basically a normal average brownish-blackest pleco only it’s fins are huge and it almost makes it look a like a miniature shark, it also has 2 little nostrils sticking out of its head which looks like the horns of a rhino giving it its name, they’re good algae eaters but not as good as a bristlenose but they look a lot cooler than bristlenoses, I think they look ugly lol

Hil_m.i
Ahah, bigger fish sometimes bully smaller fish.

Bodacious
Ahah, bigger fish sometimes bully smaller fish.
Bullying is fair I guess but he still doesn’t even nib at them or anything

Dch48
Thanks and a rhino pleco is basically a normal average brownish-blackest pleco only it’s fins are huge and it almost makes it look a like a miniature shark, it also has 2 little nostrils sticking out of its head which looks like the horns of a rhino giving it its name, they’re good algae eaters but not as good as a bristlenose but they look a lot cooler than bristlenoses, I think they look ugly lol
The Rhino Pleco is also known as the Alligator or Chocolate Pleco

Bradyn Bowerman
I mean, would you be scared if something huge like a dinosaur was running toward you? (sorry for the stupid comparison I just watched jurassic world...

emerald6
I would increase the number of giant danios, as they would feel more comfortable in a shoal of at least 5-6

fishaholic87
Think of it this way you can be fiscally attacked or mentally same with fish if there’s a 300 pound muscle man with a machine gun behind you not doing anything you’d still be stressed

DuaneV
If theyre not there is something wrong with them. Instinct tells them anything bigger is scary.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JFreshwater
Replies
Views
Islandvic
  • Question
Replies
Views
UnknownUser
Replies