Can fish accustom to lower PH be fine in higher PH?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by cheesepuff, Aug 10, 2015.

1. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

My tanks PH is around 8.2-8.4

however, I wanted to get a Kuhli Loach and a neon ram, but I understand that both fish prefer water under 7 PH. Would these fish adjust to the PH in my tank and thrive or would they suffer in my tank?

2. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

They should adjust. Just acclimate then very slowly before releasing them into the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. cheesepuffWell Known MemberMember

those plastic bags the store uses that they fill with water and air - Are those by chance a semi permeable materiel that will allow tank water through slowly into the bag?

If not, what would be the best way to acclimate them?

4. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

No they're not. I prefer drip acclimation personally, there are lots of instuctions floating around Google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

6. KwigWell Known MemberMember

I live in Las Vegas, very hard water. PH typically around 8.0 to 8.2 both in my tanks at home and the tanks at the store I work at. Rams and Kuhli's are housed here in high pH water with no problems. As long as it's stable and so is the temperature and you acclimate slowly, you should be fine.

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The fish you buy are probably tank bred and used to high pHs already, no need to avoid them because of your pH. If they are wild caught though, they will need to be slowly acclimated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice