Can fertilized eggs hatch healthily if the convict parents had to be removed?

OscarOwner24

I have a male and female convict cichlid, in their own tank that spawned for the first time. She hatched the eggs 2 days ago. No white eggs so far, so they all seem to be fertilized. However, she began eating some of the eggs today, definitely was not trying to mouthbrood - she was definitely eating and swallowing them. We removed both parents and placed them in a breeder net so that they could still see the fry but can’t get to them. Will the fry still be able to hatch and live without the parents being able to access them?

AggressiveAquatics

Yes the fry will still hatch. Although convicts are usually good parents so maybe she was removing bad ones?

OscarOwner24

AggressiveAquatics said:
Yes the fry will still hatch. Although convicts are usually good parents so maybe she was removing bad ones?y
That’s what we thought at first, however, we noticed that it was only after a few separate occasions of the male failing to go in and take her spot after she would try to leave the fry - she would come out of the pot, swim up to him, wait, he wouldn’t go in, and then she would go back in and start eating some of them, and she repeated that about 4 times. Could it be because it’s their first time? I know that I’ve read in a few places that they can eat them the first time but we still have them in the breeding box and they seem to have calmed down a bit. Both have eaten and the eggs still look the same as before. Hopefully everything turns out okay

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom