Can females live together?

1. Betafish305ca Member Member

don't mean to take over this post, but can multiple females live together (without any males of course)

??

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I moved your question out of the other member's thread since it was off topic.
    Females can be just as territorial as males.
    I've heard of more disasters than success stories so it's not a chance I'd take or something I would advise.
    It's said that sisters who have grown up together have a better chance, but as they mature, that may change.
    I've also seen tanks where someone says their fems are getting along but their tails are nipped and they have stress bars leading me to believe it's not working as well as they'd like to admit.

3. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

They can be put in together, I have seen it done but I would NEVER advise it. There is always a dominant girl who picks on the weakest link until she eventually kills them. It does not result in a very happy life for the fish, they just have too much spunk to be content sharing their territory with a school of fish. I attempted it twice and both times I ended up separating them for the well being of the fish and also because it is STRESSFUL. :;fru You have to watch them to make sure one is not getting bullied more than the others. Then fins get split or tattered. . . it is not ideal. Hope this helps!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldnt attempt it...do some searches of members keeping them together..you will most definitely see more unsuccessful attempts than success...even ones raised/born/related together, DONT work...(all fems) it will end up in death or major stress for each betta and stress = ich 90% of the time....

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Erm... I don't mean to break any arguements or anything here, but I've had experience keeping about 5-6 females together in a tank. I provided plenty of hiding places, and fed them well. I had no problems at all. Only when I added a male, they started dying one by one. (at that time I wasn't so familiar with bettas)

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I think allot of us have had success...for a time ....mine went about 3 months and all broke loose....other members have gone longer, but eventually, it does happen :( IMO of course...

7. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Yeah, sometimes I think the more female bettas you have the greater the chance of survival because the bullying gets spaced out amongst a larger number of fish. Having said that tho, the more there are the more chance of having big time bullies and arguements over territory. Fighters are just that Fighters, they are not meant to be kept together happily.