Can discus handle a pH of 8.2?

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Somtime in the very far future I want to set up a 65 gallon planted discus aquarium. My aquarium water is naturually 8.2, can disus handle pH that high? The water quality would be VERY good (probably 25% daily water changes) and very good filtration.

Anyway do you think discus could handle a pH that high?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I read somewhere that discus like a ph of 6.0 - 7.0. 8.2 is way out of that range but maybe if the discus were raised in a ph of 7.0-8.0.. MAYBE.

Hopefully a Discus pro will come along and help you out

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They can if it stays consistent.

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
really not shore it is far off what they should of been raised in.

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was in the same situation as you when I was deciding, so let me ask you this:

If "in the future" you plan on setting this Discus tank, by the time you get the Tank, filter, lights, stand, heaters and all the plants, your talking about spending 500-800 dollars. Then your gonna stock up with Discus (probably 6 in a 65 gal tank), that's another 300-450 dollars (depending on their quality).

Why wouldn't you spend $150 for an RO unit so you know your fish (and "investment") are in a better environment?

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
how much is a good RO filter?

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I waited for it to go on sale for $119 (reg $149). That's for a 3 stage 50 gph. As a matter of fact petsmart had them for $169 and couldn't sell them so they have a close out for $49.50! There are two left, I may run out to buy them for myself!

You still need a storage tank and shutoff valve.

phil saint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wild cought discus would not do well in PH that high, but iv read that recently breeders have been raising discus in broader PH ranges to make things easyer. discus from breeders are more hardy than thier rather more sensitve wild cought counter parts lol. you PH would be perfect for african cichlids

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do RO filters take alot to keep running i have ar_980 tank from aqua one wich has a in bilt filter thingo will it still be worth wile to buy a RO.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads