can different fish breed?

1. bbw_luverly Initiate Member

Ok, so I thought I was getting all male fish, but apparently that is not the case, so I am curious, if I have a female black Molly will she mate with my male balloon Molly? or my male guppies? And if so will I end up with some strange or deformed cross breed?

2. uphill4me Member Member

With Mollies, yes they will interbreed with other Mollies. They breed like mad!

Some say that once a female Molly is pregnant she can store sperm and reimpregnate herself in the future, I haven't conclusively proven or disproven this theory to myself. The thing I like about Black Mollies is that they are more likely to eat algae suspended in the water. Two identical set ups next to each other, one White Mollies, one Black Mollies; the Black tank consistently has less microscopic algae suspended in the water. I have confirmed this to myself repeatedly.

Don't let the baby numbers get out of control! It is cute at first but stunts the fish, causes deformities and ecological complications. One Molly tank got so overpopulated for so long that the poors in the gravel packed tightly with dietrus and resulted in years of complications from this gravel. Excessive boiling/freezing helped, but problems continued. (Not intentional neglect, I broke my neck.) Mollies will eat a few young when they are not overpopulated with them. Once the babies begin to get out of control or have a variety of sizes they tend to stop feeding on them. If sustaining a long term population, consider diversifying the gene pool every few years; I prefer adding females for increased diversity because they are likely carrying genes from other males as well.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Mollies, no matter the color or shape, are all the same species (much the same way that all dogs, from chihuahua to Irish wolfhound, are canis lupus familiaris), and thus are readily capable of interbreeding.

Mollies should not be able to breed with guppies, and if it did happen, it would likely result in no viable offspring. The two have a different number of chromosomes.

There are other types of fish that have the ability to crossbreed and create hybrids. Some of them produce completely healthy fish (like guppy x Endlers hybrids). Some of them produce damaged, unhealthy fish. Sometimes the only negative is that the fish are infertile.

4. ilikeendlers Initiate Member

There is a possibility of guppies and endlers interbreeding with mollies. I remember reading that on an article before. =)
    Of course smaller males species interbreeding with bigger counterpart females will be successful.
    Mollies breeding with guppies might produce babies too big for female guppies =(

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know where you found this article? I'd like to read it.

I've only seen one scientific case that refers to molly/guppy hybrid, and that's from the 50's. It uses visual cues as "proof" of a genetic cross. I'm hoping there are more recent articles out there, ones that utilize genetic testing to verify a hybridization.