Can different aged fry get along?

Bahamut

My swordtail gave birth to three fry 10 days ago and now she gave birth to a whole bunch more. Would it be safe to mix the older fry with these new fry?

Wendigoblue

I've heard mixing fry with bettas is a bad idea, as the older batch just eats the smaller ones. I'm guessing it might be the same with swordtails, but my guppy fry never touched the younger ones. But the adults will eat any fry small enough to fit in their mouths and even the ones too big will get nipped. I guess it just depends if your feeding them enough for them not to be hungry and snack on the younger ones (never been able to satisfy an adult guppy, they can eat a lot!). Good luck!

r4fish17

You can but it depends on the size of the fry. If the older fry are big enough to eat the smaller fry, then no. If they are around the same size then you can. I have put different aged guppy fry together. I have even mixed guppy, swordtail, and molly fry together who were different ages (the guppies were older though). Is the tank planted? If so, then if they are around the same size, I would say go for it.

Bahamut

Right now I have the older fry in a net breeder in the main tank. The younger fry I have in a Kritter Keeper. Haven't wanted to put the younger ones in the net breeder yet because they still have their yolk sacs. I know the older ones wouldn't be able to gobble them up in one bite since I'm still feeding them fry food, I'm just not sure if they would start biting at them and end up killing them.

APColorado

Yes, you can mix the frys together

Anders247

You can but it depends on the size of the fry. If the older fry are big enough to eat the smaller fry, then no. If they are around the same size then you can. I have put different aged guppy fry together. I have even mixed guppy, swordtail, and molly fry together who were different ages (the guppies were older though). Is the tank planted? If so, then if they are around the same size, I would say go for it.
Totally agree.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BPSabelhaus
Replies
Views
ThePetPavilion
  • Question
Replies
Views
cmnicole