Can cuttlebone be used with snails if there are fish in the tank

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI y'all,
I was just making sure that cuttlebone can be used with fish in the tank and if it will affect them in any way. I also need advice on how much to add to a 10 gallon aquarium as I've never used it before.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
I currently have 1 Betta and 1 Nerite Snail in a 10 gallon tank and have used Cuttlebone for a while with no ill affects. I'd say use a piece about as big as a regular sized Nerite Snail, but you can go bigger or smaller depending on the snail. And what type of fish do you have in there?

OP
jasmine-smith

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NBettas83 said:
I currently have 1 Betta and 1 Nerite Snail in a 10 gallon tank and have used Cuttlebone for a while with no ill affects. I'd say use a piece about as big as a regular sized Nerite Snail, but you can go bigger or smaller depending on the snail. And what type of fish do you have in there?
I have a few guppies with a ton of mystery snails. Mine had babies and a whole lot of them are alive and I want their shells to be nice and strong

I also have a nerite with my betta in a 5.5 gallon. Would the nerite benefit from some cuttlebone as well?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just break off a piece and put it in the tank or the filter, it won't hurt the tank or fish in any way. When that piece of cuttlebone disappears, you can add more. Yes, all snails and inverts will benifit from the extra calcium.

New Threads