Can Chlorine Be Airborne? Any Doctors, Chemists Or Biologists? :) Question

1. KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

Dear Fellow Fish Keepers,

I am having some problems with my sinuses. The doctor say that I am supposed to put on a steam machine in my house for the next 2-3 months. Just like the ones you see in a new born babies room :)

This steam is chlorine containing steam because the water is coming from the tap. Will this cause a problem for my aquarium? Any chemists or biologists out there? :)

If it does cause problems, will dosing the tank with prime in a 12h or 24h cycle work? How long does the Prime's dechlorinating function last?

If I dechlorinate the water which I put inside the machine, will the airborne dechlorinater cause me health problems? Any info? Any doctors who are also in the fish keeping hobby? :)

I thought about letting the water sit for 24-48 hours before putting it in to the machine but I want to come up with an easier and more definite solution.

Thank you for your time.

Happy Fish Keeping :)

2. James17 Well Known Member Member

Watching, this should be interesting.

3. Namtab Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't the water evaporate without the chlorine?

4. scarface Well Known Member Member

Chlorine evaporates, which is why aged tap water is safe to use after 24hrs.

5. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Do you mean a humidifier? If so, I had a big chat with my HVAC guy about not using tap water for it. He recommended using the special "baby nursery water" which is basically distilled water in a humidifier. I couldn't figure out why my furnace wasn't working this past winter so hence the HVAC guy was called. He showed me what my two little humidifiers did to my furnace; I have really hard water. It almost killed it! Thankfully, we caught it in time so only one little thing had to be fixed.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question about the chlorine, but I would use distilled water in your humidifier if you can.

6. kabellem Member Member

Yes, just agreeing here and adding that when my son had sinus and allergy issues the Dr. said that tap water can grow organisms such as bacteria in your humidifier that can make you sicker.

7. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Chlorine is a gas, yes it can be airborne. No it will not affect your tanks. I run both hot and cold air humidifiers for extended periods for my son. I have many tanks, and I run a cold air humidifier directly next to (both sitting in his dresser) the tank in his room. The chlorine will not settle into your tank.

Also as noted hard water will build up a scaly calcium deposit in your humidifier, and yes it can be detrimental to its ability to function properly.

Also yes tap water of left sitting can harbor bacteria. If you have a large volume humidifier be sure to clean it at least weekly, if you have a small volume humidifier that you have to refill every 24 hours or less be sure to empty all remaining water and throughly rinse it without soap before refilling. About once a month I wash mine out with vinegar.

8. KeeperOfASilentWorld Well Known Member Member

I now am using tap water and I am convinced that it won't cause any troubles but I will be switching to using distilled water starting from Monday morning.

Thank you all for your help.

Happy Fish Keeping :)