Can Cherry Shrimp live singularly with Neon Tetras?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by s2c2, Jul 11, 2015.

1. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

I have 6 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank and would like to add a good bottom feeder as my neons only eat mid level. I've heard Cherry Shrimp are great bottom feeders and live well with neons. My question is this... Can I just get one cherry shrimp or is it better to have more than one? If it's better to have more than one, how many would you suggest for my tank? Thank you!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sure the shrimp would love to have company. I would suggest getting at bare minimum five.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you! Out of curiosity, would you recommend a different bottom feeder?

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A couple of nerite snails may work, although I've never kept them myself. I hear good things though. They also don't breed in freshwater, unlike most other snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Netrite snails are mostly algea and vegetable eaters. Mystery snails, ghost shrimp, cherry shrimp are all better ideas for eating leftover food and in general cleaning house.. I have ghost shrimp in all my tanks and am planning to pick up a couple of gold inca mystery snails for one tank the other two have netrite snail. Alison

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would think it's better to have more, but I don't think they care..... (the shrimp)
    I would get a nerite snail as just one RCS would be boring, imo.

7. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you all!

8. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I started with 6 in my 10g, they bred to well over 30 over a few months. This was with 4 guppies keeping the population in check. They should be fine with your neons, and they do indeed make good cleaners. Start with 5-10 and you will be good to go.

9. OP
    OP
    s

bluestreakfl, what do you do with all the extra off-spring?

10. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp are so small I don't think you would ever see one. Even in a 10 gallon. I mean you would, but start with 5 or 10. They're cheap, and before you know it, you will have 50 of them. If you feel there are too many in your tank, see if a LFS will take them.

11. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I havent got to a point where I feel like I have too many. When I had guppies in the tank with them, theyd eat alot of the babies so it kept the population in check. I removed the guppies and put them into my 55g, and the 10g is shrimp only. I also recently ordered 15 more reds, although higher grade to increase the overall quality of my colony. I have somewhere over 50 now, they all come out for feeding time, but otherwise are very scattered around the tank. You could sell extras online here, aquabid, craigslist, to you LFS etc.

Heres a link to my 10g redo for the shrimp if you care to take a peek. The pics I posted tonight were at feeding, so most of them were out in the open.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cherry-shrimp/200550-10g-overhaul-shrimp-jungle.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice