Can Cherry Shrimp Live Happily With Guppies, Neon Tetras And Corys?

huh1407
Hello guys, just a beginner question regarding Shrimp. I'm planning to get Cherry Shrimp but will they survive with 2 Guppies, 9 Neons and 2 Corys ?
If yes, what's the ideal temperature for the my tank if I add Shrimp?

Cheers!

Jaeger637
I currently have a 20 gallon with a few guppies and a colony of ghost shrimp, the only problem I run into is the shrimp love to eat any fry the guppies produce

huh1407
Whats your tank temperature ? Cause currently my tank temperature between 27-29C and I wonder if they can survive this tempt?

Tsin21
I had a thriving colony of red cherry shrimps with guppies and cardinal tetras a few months before; till I tore down the tank for an upgrade. The higher temperature will speed up the metabolism of the shrimp (I kept mine at a steady temp of 28C). One important matter if you want to breed the shrimps, is to provide lots of hiding places for the shrimplets or they will be easy snacks for the fishes. Lots and lots of moss will do.

Rtessy
They should be able to, but the majority of the babies would be eaten. I've also seen one or two stories of guppies surrounding and attacking a single adult one, but I don't know how true they are as many people keep guppies with cherry shrimp.
I currently have a 20 gallon with a few guppies and a colony of ghost shrimp, the only problem I run into is the shrimp love to eat any fry the guppies produce
You may want to check if they're actually whisker shrimp which are often sold as ghost shrimp but are far more aggressive. Do yours have red bands on the claw arms and two red spots on the tail? If they do, they are ghost shrimp, if not, check out whisker shrimp.

SegiDream
They should be able to, but the majority of the babies would be eaten. I've also seen one or two stories of guppies surrounding and attacking a single adult one, but I don't know how true they are as many people keep guppies with cherry shrimp.

Probably true I would guess if there was a typical predator/prey response IE a shrimp got scared and took off flying around the tank drawing the attention of several fish. My sparklers were like that at first. Now the surviving shrimp have learned how to play it cool and they're not bothered at all by the fish now. They will actually smack fish on the face with their antennae as if to say "yeah I know you're there, and?". The shrimp in that tank are doing better than my shrimp only tanks... =/

Tsin21
Probably true I would guess if there was a typical predator/prey response IE a shrimp got scared and took off flying around the tank drawing the attention of several fish. My sparklers were like that at first. Now the surviving shrimp have learned how to play it cool and they're not bothered at all by the fish now. They will actually smack fish on the face with their antennae as if to say "yeah I know you're there, and?". The shrimp in that tank are doing better than my shrimp only tanks... =/
That's exactly how my first batch of amano shrimps met their end. While the cherries were not bothered by the fish' presence and sometimes they creep them out with their antennae.

huh1407
Great ! I guess I should try with couple of RCS first before putting more into my tank.

Do the RCS hide inside driftwood just in case they being chase by other tank mates ?

SegiDream
Great ! I guess I should try with couple of RCS first before putting more into my tank.

Do the RCS hide inside driftwood just in case they being chase by other tank mates ?

If they get chased by the fish they're going to go insane and fly everywhere randomly in the tank. Your best bet is to give them tons of hiding places so if they feel insecure they can hide somewhere where the fish can't get to them. So driftwood, caves, rocks, lots of plants are all going to help them. And in my experience the more color they have, the more they will stand out, the more likely they will be hunted so you might actually want to try low grade cherry shrimp at first. I hope this helps and good luck

huh1407
If they get chased by the fish they're going to go insane and fly everywhere randomly in the tank. Your best bet is to give them tons of hiding places so if they feel insecure they can hide somewhere where the fish can't get to them. So driftwood, caves, rocks, lots of plants are all going to help them. And in my experience the more color they have, the more they will stand out, the more likely they will be hunted so you might actually want to try low grade cherry shrimp at first. I hope this helps and good luck

Cool. On the other hand, shrimp need to acclimate too right ?

davidt39
I would suggest that you go to Flipaquatics.com for expert shrimp information. Water parameters are very important for dwarf shrimp. Hiding places are good, but remember that if the shrimp are small enough to fit in a fish’s mouth then that’s what for dinner.

SegiDream
I recommend planetinverts website, they have articles and info for just about everything you need to know about keeping dwarf shrimp.

huh1407
Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the infos. I will keep on reading before I buy couple of them.

tjander
IMO get your shrimp colony started and well established (might take a year or so) then add your fish. Otherwise the fish will more then likely eat the shrimp fry.

davidt39
I mentioned Flip Aquatics earlier. If you want to learn about how to successfully raise and breed shrimp, go to Utube and watch the videos from Flip Aquatics by Lupdiesel. “How to Breed Shrimp” is one that would interest you. RO water is a must to successfully raise shrimp. Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
airdog44
Replies
Views
Anders247
Replies
Views
Bithimala
Replies
Views