Can cats live with fish

1. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Long time ago, my sister wanted t o bring her two cats to my place because she wwas oging out of town o that day and she wanted to bring her cats, but we said no because the cover wasn't secured and we were afraid that the platies babies will get hurt and died( All of the babies are gone now BTW).

So I was wondering if it would okay to bring cats in the house. The top isn't all away in and the cover felled off and now its broken...

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Unless you have a secure lid with no gaps for paws to fit through, I wouldn't chance it.

3. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I have 14 cats...they live with my tanks just fine

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't - the cats can reach into the tank and try to get the fish. Even if they don't succeed, they can stress the fish, or contaminate the water easily. Also, I don't know this for sure, but it seems like it wouldn't be that good of any idea for a cat to lick up any tankwater. If you are bringing in the cats, I would take a wooden plank or some such item and completely cover the top of the tank so there is no access for the cats.

5. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My cats drink the tank water all the time. ;)

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Dang, I wouldn't trust my cat without a secure lid.
    She's always sitting on top or watching them licking her chops. lol

7. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My cats don't care. They are afraid of the 150, and drink out of my 20 all the time. My one cat sleeps on top of the hood of my ten. Maybe I just have weird cats

8. konstargirl Well Known Member Member

Well my aquarium lid isn't secure because the aqueon filter is blocking some of the areas that I would slide the top and its not really in. How would I fit the top cover all of the way so I won't keep taking it out while I'm doing water changes? This how it looks now:
    304.jpg

@Amanda: Are the fish okay. After so many times that the cats are licking it.

9. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

The cats don't lick the fish! rofl
    They drink the tank water. My cats get 2 meals a day...same time everyday.
    They know that they don't need to hunt, all they need to do is wander into the kitchen to get food. They're too lazy to hunt the fish in the tanks.

10. Elodea Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure, my cat would stare at the fish tank all the time and try to get the fish, so if it isn't covered...I wouldn't risk it.

11. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

My cats can get food anytime they want, we leave the bag open for them so they just eat as they please, but they still love to hunt, exspecially our cat Sassy. I would say if there's a place for the cat to stick her paw in a tank and grab the fish, then it's unsafe.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I love my cats and luckily my girl Gabby is not a jumper. Too she is elderly but even in her younger days I never found her on the counter tops or any where she didn't belong. She has never been on my tanks.

However, my (now deceased) cat Motley would jump every where. She also jumped on one of my tanks, 72g and broke the center support bar. It's the only thing I can think of that could have done it. She was a big girl at 14lbs. As for my new tank....no new cats in the house!
    Ken

13. David C Well Known Member Member

My cats like to sit on the couch next to the fish tank and watch the fish swim. Every once in awhile the big one tries to attack them through the glass, its funny to watch. I've never had any problems with them so I would say you would be good to have the cats over for a visit.

Dave