Can Black Ghost Knife & Clown Loach live with Cichlids in the same tank?

zeebo
TFA101
switch the clown loach to skunk loach. these are smaller and have the personality of any cichlid. aside from that, yes

pepetj
I'm no expert, but I believe most chichlids are territorial and aggressive; you may need a lot of bottom surface to keep them with big bottom dwellers (Both Clown Loach and Black Ghost Knife get huge -up to 18 to 20 inches in lenght- and despite being kind of shy, I don't know about Clown Loaches, but the Black Ghost Knife is territorial). Providing good hiding places (e.g. PVC tube caves) might help a lot.

Note: Black Ghost Knife will need more than 4foot long tank when adult, so a 6footer might do it.

Could you be more specific as for which chichlids are you into? African or Central/South American? Some chichlids will NOT share their tank at all, some will give you a few options but with others it might work out. Interesting stocking idea.

Some guys here have a lot of experience with chichlids, I would check back on this thread to learn about this. Thanks for posting

Pepe
Santo Domingo

zeebo
HI TFA101 & pepetj,

Thanks for the replies.

pepetj, I am looking at American Cichlids. I have not done any research yet as I want to find out first if BGK & Clown Loach can live with Cichlids in the same tank.

Thanks.

zeebo
HI ,

I found out the following cichlids are peaceful .

1) Discus 15cm
2) Blue Acara 16cm
3) Flag 7.5cm
4) Keyhole 10cm
5) Ram 7.5cm
6) Twin Spot Flag 20cm

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above? Kindly share.

I am quite keen on discus but I understand they are difficult to care for. I have been told they are very sensitive.

I am also trying to plan ahead as I know BGK & Clown Loach will grow to 49cm & 30cm respectively if everything stay right. I really don't want any cichlid to become their live food.

Meantime, I will read from the threads in this forum abt the cichlids mentioned above.

x

Butterfly
The BGK and Clown Loach(they can get to 16 inches with good care) will get really big so a bigger tank is in order. Clown Loaches are also social fish and need more of their kind.
better to plan for the fish you already have then add other fish.
I don't feel Cichlids would be good tank mates for either fish.
The BGK needs water temps of 73F-82F, the clowns need 78F-82F. The cichlids listed wouldn't be happy at the temps needed to care for the fish you already have.
Carol

zeebo
HI Butterfly,

Thanks for the infor.

Butterfly
Welcome
carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gone
Replies