Can Betta's Eat Otos?

MamaM
HI All! It's been a while since I've visited, and everything had been going just peachy. Simon the betta was happy in his tank with the 4 otos and it all seemed fine. Simon used to chase the otos, but I thought that it was normal. Then I couldn't find one oto. I thought he might just be hiding, but I had a problem with my tank and had to transfer the rocks, plants, water & fish into a new 10 gal tank. I only found 3 otos to transfer. Everyone fared the transfer well, and that was a couple of weeks ago. I only saw 2 otos on my last cleaning, but didn't worry about it. But I still haven't seen the 3rd and I've been diligently watching. I even put an algae wafer treat to lure him out. Nope, nothing, nada. So I have quarantined Simon in his own little tank to preserve the lives of my remainong otos! I am seriously considering finding him a new home (I know a wonderful lady who is a fish/betta lover and could give him a good home). Has this happened to anyone else before?

Happy New Year to you all!

susitna-flower
Does your tank have any open area at the top? I had three otoes in a 55 gallon tank, and found one jumped out, there is the smallest opening at the back where the tubes go through. It was a surprise to me, but this could have happened to yours. Over all do you not like the betta? Most people on here just are smitten with them......

MamaM
It does (have openings at the top) but it's on a microwave cart & set in a corner so I can see to the floor on all sides of the tank. I've looked, and there have been no escapees!

Overall, I love my betta. But truthfully, I love otos more (they're my favorites of all my fishies). And he's been such a bully to them, that I feel very protective of them.

0morrokh
How long have you had the otos? Otos sometimes tend to not live very long and are experts at hiding for a long time, or hiding and dying in places you can't find them. Also if one died the betta may have eaten the body.

lilsoccakid
I'm guesing they died, and then were picked at by the betta

MamaM
I've had the otos for a few months (since early summer I think). All 4 were in the tank pre-betta and had survived when a couple other new otos hadn't. With the first missing oto, that might have happened (he died & the betta picked at him). But the tank is in a very highly visible area so I look in it often, and it was literally one day I saw the 2nd missing oto and by the next morning there was absolutely no trace of the oto (I moved them from their tank to a new one so I transferred every rock, plant and hiding place). But Simon the betta is now in a lovely home (a 10 gal tank with some trumpet snails) and I get to visit him often. And the two remaining otos are more active & visible than they have been for a long time, so I'm happy.

COBettaCouple
If Simon had eaten either of them, I'd think you'd have spotted some of the Oto left or a REALLY fat Betta. We had some otos in a Q tank and 1 of them disappeared - never found any trace of him.
Our bettas would sometimes chase otos or cories a little when they had them in their tanks, but never to kill - just their territorial instinct. The cats always said "Yes sir" and the betta was happy.
Did you check the filter housing completely? They are such sensitive fish and seem to die without warning. Could they have somehow gotten sucked into the filter or even jumped into the filter? ???

MamaM
Well, Simon WASN'T eating his food pellets!!! And yes, I did check the filter housing completely--I took it apart and rinsed it all out when I transferred tanks. It's a mystery!

COBettaCouple
I don't know why, but the :;z seem to love Otos. We have a friend who can't find one of hers now too. They disappear more than any fish!

Barbrella
Take your filter apart and check every inch of it for your missing oto.

I just found my baby BN in mine. They like the fast-moving water from the outflow.

Tazmiche
I LOVE my oto's but I think that is a typo!! I'm sure they were meant to be called Oddo's as in oddballs! Mine hide or play dead!! Please don't get me wrong.... I adore mine!!!! As greedy as Bettas are from my experience I can't imagine him KILLING and eating him! As Bettas are normally kept in commuinty tanks in stores here in the UK I often see dead fish being eaten by others BUT I HAVE NEVER seen a betta feasting on a dead fish!! They seem to hide at that point! I guess in fear that they are next!!

voiceless_kat
As greedy as Bettas are from my experience I can't imagine him KILLING and eating him!

ha, ha..then there was Wink Jack Sparrow who hunted down and picked/ate the eyes out of one of his oto room mates.....

Tazmiche
ha, ha..then there was Wink Jack Sparrow who hunted down and picked/ate the eyes out of one of his oto room mates.....

Oh NO!!!! the beast!!

COBettaCouple
Some bettas are just too territorial for even otos as tankmates.

voiceless_kat
Oh NO!!!! the beast!!

WJS was a turd. The story does have a happy ending since I put the oto in with the guppy fry and he is doing well, very small, but with a round little tummy!

I don't think I will do roommates any more for bettas.

Tazmiche
I'm very glad to hear that!! ( BTW turd is my true cringe word!!!! I hate it. My ex-moron-lifepartner, would say it as he know it made me cringe!!....The t..d)

LuvaBetta

People like that know how to push our buttons - because they installed those buttons!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
JamesVader
Top Bottom