Can Betta's change colors?

Shastam

Reaction score
I noticed this afternoon that Samson seems to have different colors now from when I rescued him from petco about a week ago. He was sort of pale lillac with light blue when I got him, but now his front fins are becoming a bright red, and his body is darkening too. Are these bad signs? Has anyone else had something like this happen?

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a good sign. It means that Samson is in a healthy environment and is as not stressed as he was when you first got him. My bettas all had more pronounced colors after being in a warm healthy environment for a few days. Some of them even seemed to change colors.

CherryRose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NO, it's not bad at all. His true colors are just coming through now that he's out of that cup. Sometimes when the Bettas are left in those cups for so  long they get real stressed and sometimes when they get stressed they lose their color. So, that is what happened with Samson. You took him  out of a stressful situation and he is now able to relax and be more like a Betta should be.

A lot of times too a betta will change colors through out it's life because it simply has that ability too. There are Betta foods ouut there that has color enhancers in them, so that too can cause them to change colors. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with Samson. Just sit back and enjoy him. Congratulations on rescuing him! Welcome to you and to Samson to fishlore!
                                                                                                                   Natalie  

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Your Samson sounds like my Deisy. When I got her, she was a lovely cream color with lilac fins. I woke up the next day and nearly panicked to find a white betta with red fins. I only saw her with lilac fins on one other occaision, when I unexpectedly had to leave for several days because of a death in the family, and water conditions were starting to slip when I got back. A good water change brought back that bright red color.

My Duece changed colors almost instantly when I got him into clean water (he was rescued from a cup at Wal Mart where he didn't even have enough water to get his body off the bottom, let alone to stretch his fins. I bought him purely from pity and because I could not bare to see him in that cup... I really didn't expect to get a very pretty betta out of it. His dorsal fin has a kink in it, but his fins are always spread as wide as they'll go, and he is a gorgeous color (gold with blue edges to the scales, cellophane fins, and a green irradescent sheen). Its like he's saying, "I am worth more than that cup they put me in. I am a living creature!"

We should have some of our rescue bettas become spokesfish for the anti-betta-cup movement. I'm going to start taking BEFORE and AFTER pictures.

Anyways, congrats on your boy, sounds like he's healthy and happy.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All of our Bettas (other than Angel) have changed their colors some after we brought them home & put them into their Betta palaces. I don't think you ever see their true coloring at the store because they're not being loved or cared for or having the room they need.

Shastam

Reaction score
Thanks for the confidence booster! I'm glad he's ok, I was a little worried! It does make sense though. If they aren't getting what they need in those cups, they definatly can't look their best. I want to rescue another one now!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
Thanks for the confidence booster! I'm glad he's ok, I was a little worried! It does make sense though. If they aren't getting what they need in those cups, they definatly can't look their best. I want to rescue another one now!
Yea, going in there, I always wish I could take them all home and give them a place to live that fits a beautiful, smart fish like a Betta. One day, we hope to own a Betta shop and you can bet they won't be in little cups ignored on a side shelf, stacked so deep the ones in back must think it's always night.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
hehe, i just brought a new betta home a few days ago, and I tried to get one that looked differnt than Grim. Unfortunatley, a few days after being in his new home has revealed that what I thought was a light blue and purple fish, is really a marron and navy fish, just like Grim Oh well, I'll love him anyways!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
;D LOL I know what you mean. I hope my new betta, Bindi, doesnt change color though, as she is so beautiful. I didn't realize just how beautiful she was until I got her home and released her into her tank. You're right though; we will love them no matter what color they are.

CherryRose

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Finley has been changing color since we got him, He was all blue when we got him. Now we see bits of red and green in him. He's beautiful, I just wish he could get over his tail! but we're wokring on it

Samson is lucky and has nothing to worry about!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom