Can bettas be tank mates with long fin plecos

Kirstielou

Hi I was looking at getting a male betta fish but have 2 young long fin plecos and wanted to make sure that there would be no casualties.

Never had one before and my sister has offered to get one for my birthday. But she doesn't want to buy one it's going to have a negative impact on the others.

You advise and help would be appreciated

Thank Kirstie

BigManAquatics

My bettas pretty much have ignored my plecos. Period. The one that didn't killed everything else in the tank, too.

Have had bettas go after the pleco wafers before, but usually doesn't take too many tail slaps for bettas to leave that alone, too.

PeterFishKeepin

As long as the tank is big enough and there is enough hides and plants and stuff in tank both the pleco and betta should be occupied and not annoy each other.

Are you planning a male or female betta? Perhaps purchasing a female would be a safer option? Have a back up plan if aggression issues occur, you could put the betta in a different tank or you would need to return to store or rehome fish.

Kirstielou

As long as the tank is big enough and there is enough hides and plants and stuff in tank both the pleco and betta should be occupied and not annoy each other.

Are you planning a male or female betta? Perhaps purchasing a female would be a safer option? Have a back up plan if aggression issues occur, you could put the betta in a different tank or you would need to return to store or rehome fish.
The tank it quite big and there's loads of plants and wood caves for them to hide in. We also have gouramis would the betta be bothered by them or would they be safe as they don't have long fins.
My bettas pretty much have ignored my plecos. Period. The one that didn't killed everything else in the tank, too.

Have had bettas go after the pleco wafers before, but usually doesn't take too many tail slaps for bettas to leave that alone, too.
I've got tetras and clown loaches and gouramis would it try to attack any other these?

BigManAquatics

The tank it quite big and there's loads of plants and wood caves for them to hide in. We also have gouramis would the betta be bothered by them or would they be safe as they don't have long fins.

I've got tetras and clown loaches and gouramis would it try to attack any other these?
Possible. Really depends on the betta itself. Though, they generally aren't considered a community fish, and for good reason.

Kirstielou

Possible. Really depends on the betta itself. Though, they generally aren't considered a community fish, and for good reason.
Ok thank you for your help

PeterFishKeepin

Ye sorry Kirstielou but betta and gourami shouldn't be kept together, they are both se,I aggressive species from the same family species, Anabantidae.

You may have to skip betta for this tank although if you get a female betta I think you should be safe as long as the betta isn't to aggressive

Kirstielou

Ye sorry Kirstielou but betta and gourami shouldn't be kept together, they are both se,I aggressive species from the same family species, Anabantidae.

You may have to skip betta for this tank although if you get a female betta I think you should be safe as long as the betta isn't to aggressive
I saw a male betta in with some gouramis at one of my local fish store and they seemed to be alright together. We will probably get a second tank just incase there is any issue and then buy some more fish suitable for a betta. Thank you for the advice

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Skink123
Replies
Views