can Bettas be raised in outdoor ponds

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by emartin250, Aug 1, 2015.

1. emartin250New MemberMember

I say yes if pond is big enough and you add a nice pond heater for winter stabilization of temp. Ill try this beginning in two weeks. Comments as to if this might work. Note bettas naturally grow in outdoor ponds in Thailand etc and spawn, and don't fight because their areas is large enough to keep them apart. They just live breed spawn and three hundred fry grow up as they eat some natural vegitation and insects in the ponds. I saw a video of this in Thailand and that is why Im trying it as the results were fine and profitable just start the pond with pairs of mature breeding bettas and let it go except add some supplementary foods nutritious to bettas. Scoop up the show bettas and scoop up the $3--100 cash per fish.

2. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

You would need regularly warm water and pretty clean. Definitely need plants.
    the challenge would be if you could keep it from predators, as they go so close to the surface.
    i wouldn't do it.
    on the other hand, natural mosquito prey would be more available.
    To be honest, they do fightin nature, its just not as much and generally less serious.

3. OP
    OP
    e

emartin250New MemberMember

Betas in outdoor pond

I read a previous article about betas in outdoor ponds which to me sounds iffy now to me but Ill try it as best as I can as I live in Fl where it stays hot from May til October and humid where I'm at. My pond is going to be maybe 20 ft loge and kind of hour glass shaped and with a second portion off it about the same size. Will have plants, also pond heater with thermometer for the months of November to May and I think I have a huge problem.

One problem is I read you have no way if breeding males and females to control what you get. My thought is then add only quality fish but be ready for possible non surival also. Survivor fry will then have show quality parents and it you add only ones you prefer then fry will be what you are wanting. Another way to do that is add in the pond a particians that will allow water flow like you would in an aquarium made of screen mesh material reinforced and molded to shape of bottom and sides.

Now the biggest problem I see is predators like the cats I have hanging around that would like a fish dinner. Actually I'm certain they are the reason my nice koi went missing while totally healthy after living there a while until cats discovered the pond and I did observe a cat at the edge of the pond peering into the water ready to strike.
    Also there may be other fish eating racoons etc out there. So how do I stop them is my question here? well I managed to run off squirrels and anything else living with a trusty electronic screeching device out in the yard. It was 100% effective on squirrels and anything else. I just don't know if it would effect the fish who cant get out of the pond. Can they hear that high pitched sound and will it bother them as I'm sure the cats wont stay there or racoons etc.

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    How many years experience do you have? Do you know the nitrogen cycle? Your profile says no. I would learn about that first before trying to keep bettas in an outdoor pond. Besides, they will fight with each other.
    junebug may be able to help you....

5. OP
    OP
    e

emartin250New MemberMember

Two issues here. One is temperature of water in N Fla from November to may solved with a pond heater or removing fish from pond in those months.

Issue two>>> pond animal predators solved by untrasound electronic screeching repelling device we can't hear but cats and racoons won't come near it. Second method is to search online and you will find a few hits on how to eliminate pond predators.

6. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Lucy Coradee I don't know what all the other mods are.
    Maybe merge the two threads so it doesn't get confusing?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

R u sure fish cant hear that?
    plus it wont keep away insect predators and maybe not frogs orcertain reptiles.
    like i said, doable, just a pain. A large bird will not have time to notice that repelling device though.

8. Blk69Valued MemberMember

Couple of thoughts.

1) How deep is your pond. If it's like 3' plus than your fish can dive for safety.
    2) Birds are the biggest threat for my pond. Seen folks put fine mesh screen over water to keep them out.
    3) betta's that grow up togather do not usually fight. However if the get moved and are togather....look out they will try to kill each other.
    4) For selected breeding suggest floating nets or such to keep certain pairs of fish togather. Truthfully it may be easier to have adults in an aquarium for standard breeding and move the fry to the pond.

Good luck and post some pictures

9. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

I'm pretty useless here, as I've never kept bettas in a pond. I do know of some folks in Thailand that do it, but they literally just throw a bunch of fish in their ponds and let them breed at will, then select from the offspring.

I do know that bettas don't hear, so your screeching device is probably fine for them (I can't imagine it's causing sonic booms or anything lol). As for keeping birds out of a pond, a mesh net hanging above the pond is usually sufficient. You may also want to add some mesh on the water's surface, but if you do, make sure you get one with holes big enough for the bettas to breathe.

The most major issue you'll likely have with this is bettas getting sucked into the filter compartment. Ponds create a lot of "gunk", so a fine mesh screen over the overflow is not really an option - it would clog quickly and the powerhead would fry. So you'll need to find a way to ensure the fish aren't getting sucked into your equipment, along with being sure the flow at the output is not too strong for bettas.

10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Merged threads.

Ken

11. atb224155

atb224155Valued MemberMember

I've seen ponds with frogs and such. But bettas in a pond would be a challenge. Cats and other predators pose a great threat. Some dogs will even hunt fish, not sure about bettas though. Water testing would be a must, plus like proofing your back or front yard where the pond is could also help. What betta food do plan on buying to feed them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice