can belly turning orange

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

My cons have fry in the tank about a half to 1 cm. They are about 1 month old. The females belly turned orange overnight. Since she is now in breeding mode will she eat the fry? Should I place the fry in a breeders net?

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

She will eat the fry now that she's in breeding mode again. If you want the babies, I would definitely put them in a breeder's net.

You have a difficult task ahead. I have yet to find anything faster than convict fry when I'm trying to net them.

Keep us posted:)

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

mine always carry the orange belly with the exception of one gal...(shes a terror)....I think you have a couple more months...but each fish is different for sure....do you have a bunch of hiding spots? mine dont even bother running from mom and dad for at least 2-3 months..maybe I have the nice kids and thats why i was overloaded with cons!! LOL
    .good luck!

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks. i'll keep an eye on them. if i see the population drop then i will catch the fry.

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

UPDATE: The mom was being aggressive towards the fry so I put the fry in a breeders net. Now the dad stays by the net and still protects the fry. He also chases the female towards the other side of the tank and she goes in a cave. When will he realize the fry are not going anywhere?