can belly turning orange

Discussion in 'Convict Cichlid' started by fishingman001, Dec 18, 2009.

1. fishingman001

fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

My cons have fry in the tank about a half to 1 cm. They are about 1 month old. The females belly turned orange overnight. Since she is now in breeding mode will she eat the fry? Should I place the fry in a breeders net?

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

She will eat the fry now that she's in breeding mode again. If you want the babies, I would definitely put them in a breeder's net.

You have a difficult task ahead. I have yet to find anything faster than convict fry when I'm trying to net them.

Keep us posted:)

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

mine always carry the orange belly with the exception of one gal...(shes a terror)....I think you have a couple more months...but each fish is different for sure....do you have a bunch of hiding spots? mine dont even bother running from mom and dad for at least 2-3 months..maybe I have the nice kids and thats why i was overloaded with cons!! LOL
    .good luck!

4. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

thanks. i'll keep an eye on them. if i see the population drop then i will catch the fry.

5. OP
    OP
    fishingman001

UPDATE: The mom was being aggressive towards the fry so I put the fry in a breeders net. Now the dad stays by the net and still protects the fry. He also chases the female towards the other side of the tank and she goes in a cave. When will he realize the fry are not going anywhere?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice