Can Bala Sharks Go In A 40 Gallon Tank?

adicted to fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am just wondering becase maybe if I am any good at it I may upgrade my tank to a 40 gallon to put some more fish in could I maybe put a bala shark or two in there

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bala sharks get pretty big and they need to be in schools. I would say no.

OP
A

adicted to fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so they could not fit in a 40 gallon tank thanks

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, bala sharks need massive tanks. They get large and need to be kept in groups.

OP
A

adicted to fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
like how big than?

becase I saw three at a fish store and they were swimming to one side to the other it was fun to watch

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Because they get a foot long and need to be kept in groups, you need 100+ gallons. And a nice long and wide footprint. Like at least 5 to 6 feet long.

OP
A

adicted to fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
100+ that is crazy thank you I will have to pass on the bala sharks somone at Petco said they need at least a 20 gallon but I believe you becase they normally don't give very good advice thanks

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Some people say at least 200 gallons for 6 bala sharks. 6 is the minimum school size

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
adicted to fish said:
100+ that is crazy thank you I will have to pass on the bala sharks somone at Petco said they need at least a 20 gallon but I believe you becase they normally don't give very good advice thanks
Its hard to believe based on how little they are at the store. But MAN, I remember the first time I saw a group of full grown bala sharks. I was BLOWN AWAY. They are HUGE. And since they need groups to be comfortable, it makes it very hard to accommodate them in a home aquarium. The tank they were in was at least 180-200 gallons and the group of just 4 of them looked cramped!!!!!

That is so sad to me that they would suggest a 20 gallon for a fish that gets 12 inches. Forget the need for a group! No 12 inch fish should live their lives in a 20g. They will get severely stunted and die very young if kept in a tank that small.

I am glad you are willing to take the advice even though it is not what you wanted to hear.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom