Can apple snails tolerate aquarium salt? Question

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

I had ordered some apple snails to arrive on Thursaday, when I suddenly remembered I had added two tablespoons of aquarium salt to my tank this morning? Will the salt hurt the snails? If so how can I remedy the problem? (Unfortunately I'm cycling with Safe Start at the moment.):-\

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think they can handle a little bit, so you should be fine. But how come you are adding salt? The black molly will be fine without it...

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Goodnight. Let us know how things go tomorrow. :)

3. Jackie Frost Member Member

Nice to see you again Meenu! I added the salt for the Puffer. (The clerk recommended it. Probably trying to get me to buy more products.) Now of course it's completely unnecessary. I'm going to return all of the fish in the morning, then start off with a few Mollies. I may add Platy's and Guppies too. My problem is I got 4 apple snails coming on Thursday and I can't cancel the order. I also don't want to overwhelm the safe start. Decesions ...decesions.

At least it's a relief to hear the salt won't hurt my snails. (Whew!):cool:

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Salt is not good for mystery snails and can stress/kill them. They're not meant for brackish waters. :(

How much salt did you add per gallon of water?

Update: :) Here are some links for learning about your new snails:
    http://www.squidoo.com/Mystery_Snails#module11182663
    http://www.applesnail.net/

Their shells need calcium supplement to stay healthy. The easiest and cheapest way to do this seems to be to add broken egg shells in a fish net bag (hide in a corner or something) & as they dissolve they will release the calcium into the water. Another way, is - just before lights out - slice a chunk of zucchni & stick that on a chopstick or skewer (to help wedge it under decor/rock so it doesn't float off). When you wake up, you'll find your snail devouring the zucchini, which is high in calcium and vitamins that are good for the body and the shell! If your water is acidic, add some crushed coral to naturally raise the pH and reduce dissolution of the snail's shell.

:)

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Apple snail FAQ
    Hello Jackie. Check out the link above. Scroll down a ways and there is a section on snails and cichlid salt. It states that the apple snail can tolerate "small" amounts of salt, and also says if the snails stay in their shells for 24 hours then the salt needs to be reduced. It states to not let the snail come in direct contact with the salt and to make sure the salt is dissolved.
    Personally I'd be afraid to risk it. It just doesn't sound like a good combination to me. I can remember as a child and going fishing we would use slugs as bait. A slug has the same type of body a snail does but it doesn't have a shell. One of the kids that was fishing with us poured salt onto the slug and it just dissolved. That's stuck with me all of these years and because of this I'd be afraid to risk my snails with salt water.
    I would also suggest that you use a hydrometer to measure the salinity in your tank first.
    Ken

6. Jackie Frost Member Member

Okay ...okay. I'm going to return all the fish this morning, do a 100% percent water change (goobye expensive bottle of safe start) put the snails in the tank on Thursday and cycle naturally with them. I don't think the cycles effects them as much or even at all. So I struck out first time at bat. There will be other innings ....:-\

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Cichlid salt is different than aquarium or table salt. cichlid salt has these ingredients in it
    " magnesium, calcium, sodium, and potassium. Plus, includes trace elements such as iron, manganese, and iodide."

Aquarium salt contains:
    "calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, and sodium chloride. " Which is evaporated sea water.

uniodized table salt is
    Sodium Chloride

The point of this is- when using salt in the aquarium make sure of what kind of salt your using and that it's appropriate for that tank. According to that article they can use a little cichlid salt but I wouldn't chance it with any other kind. If you can do without it would be better in my honest opinion. Hope that helps.
    Carol

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Oops, sorry for the bad info - I did a quick google search and saw that they could handle a small amount of salt, assumed you wouldn't be adding any more, and figured they'd be okay... I agree that it's probably for the best to just not add fish until the tank is cycled, since the TSS is going bust anyway, with a 100% water change.

With the mollies, when I was going to get one for my tank, people told me to consider that they are big waste producers and get up to 3 inches, so you want to consider that when you decide how many fish to end up with.

You poor thing - this whole tank thing's gone pretty rough for you so far. *hug*

9. Jackie Frost Member Member

Thanks Meenu. I returned all the fish and now my tank is running on empty. It's crazy but I still want to save the Tetra Safe Start somehow (I did a water check and it's 0.0 amonia and 0.0 nitrites for the first time ever!!! The amonia was 0.25 before I used Safe Start.) So my new plan is to prepare some new water with aqua safe in a five gallon bucket, do a 100% water change tommorrow (Because the good bacteria doesn't swim and stays on the surface. Right?) and buy three male mollies so the safe start will have some amonia to eat. Hope it works.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. With 4 snails and 3 mollies, you may be pretty well-stocked for a 15 gallon, so I wouldn't plan on getting more fish... maybe reconsider after a couple of months.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if the tank is empty, and with salt in it, the tss probably isnt going to work....good luck ! and great decision to return the fish

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I too think a water change to remove the salt is the best thing for the snails, and mollies will be just fine without salt in their water. Just to clarify, snails are indeed very sensitive to water parameters (especially ammonia) and will be one of the first indicators in a tank that the water quality is not at its best. They'll clamp up into their shell by closing their trapdoor or try to crawl out of the water if the ammonia becomes as high as it does in a normal fishless cycle.

"Fishless" cycling should really be termed "fish/invert-less" cycling. If the snails are already on their way, then regular partial water changes are still necessary in an uncycled tank.

I'm not sure the TSS will have survived without any fish in there to feed it, so adding snails/mollies now may not save it. Replacing tank water with conditioned water, which is necessary to remove the salt, will definitely kill the TSS. Imo, the TSS is kinda a lost cause at this point and really shouldn't be relied on. But that's obv. your call. ;)

Best wishes to your snails and mollies. :)

13. omnitheforsaken Member Member

I have multiple tanks and my Apple snails have reproduced like crazy and show no signs of stress. I initially used API aquarium salt w/ no problems and later switched to Seachem Livebearer salt and still have no problems. With the API, I use as directed and with the Seachem, I use the recommended amount for Swordtails. I don't think the little bit of salt in those products will cause you any problems if used as directed. I can tell you that they haven't in my case.

14. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Yeah I am starting to wonder if it is more to do with how salt is introduced when it's at low levels. I treated for ich a while back with salt and heat and in one tank I didn't let it dissolve fully before adding... Killed some snails. :( The other tank, which had a higher concentration of salt as this was the one showing signs fully of ich, I dissolved fully then added slowly. All the snails survived. That same tank is now brackish at 1.008 and I was unable to get out the small baby snails (picking them up just crushes them) - they're doing fine (the marine salt was fully dissolved and added slowly).

15. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Are you referring to Malaysian Trumpet Snails or mystery snails? :) Because I keep Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my brackish and they're great there. I'm honestly skeptical of mystery snails (the apple snail species) in a high sg tank. I would love for that to be true though - I'd put mysteries in every tank I own. ;D

16. Tim Wheatley Initiate Member

Ramshorns, but there was a Mystery in the brackish tank the first night it was at 1.008, I missed him when I moved the others. ;)

MTS seem bullet proof!

17. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;voices MTS are the cockroaches of the underwater world. :)

18. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well Gang ...I'm going to dump all the water out today, add fresh water and conditioners, add the apple snails on Thursday with a mollie or two. Oh and of course a new bottle of Safe Start. Wish me luck!

Oh and thanks Iloveengl!;)

19. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Best wishes Jackie!
    Ken

20. rainman Well Known Member Member

Fun fact:

According to osmosis, if a cell (plant or animal) has a low concentration of water inside the cell, then the water molecules diffuse (pass/penetrate) out into their surroundings to make up for this difference in cencentration.
    Thats just what happens with the case of your snails, there is less water content outside the cells of the snail, (as a result of you putting salt on them) so the water present in the body of the snail moves out to dehydrates the snails.