Can apple snails found outside be put in aquariums?

1. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I found an apple snail in my barn and was wondering if he would be okay in my 100 gallon tank.

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Got a pic?

3. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407372829.954743.jpg
    Here he is. I have a pond close by so he probably came from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Marie1

That's awesome! I don't see why not, but I would quarantine it for awhile if possible. And you may want to get a positive ID on it to make sure it is a brigg. I'm not very good with inverts myself, but maybe someone else could help with a ID.

5. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Alright thanks Marie1! I plan on keeping him in this bucket for know will it be alright for a month? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407375697.533962.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407375734.536952.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407375767.367476.jpg

6. Marie1

Maybe? I really don't know. The only inverts I keep or have kept are red cherry shrimp, and assassin snails. I think inverts are very sensitive to ammonia though, so not having it with a filter may not be the best idea.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

It is likely a Florida Apple snail, which is a plant eater. Other than the possibility of introducing parasites, I don't see why you couldn't add it to your tank. Just be aware that they will climb out of the tank so you need to have a good top on it.

It will not be okay in the bucket unless you change the water every day. Why don't you just release it and get a mystery snail (pomacea diffusa)? Many people on here have them and several give them away.

*Note*: Mystery snails are not 'briggs' (Pomacea bridgesii), they have been found to be Pomacea diffusa. But then again, any type of apple snail is called "mystery" by idiot pet stores and sellers.

8. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

None of my LFS have mystery snails:mad: I will do a daily W/C on the bucket. Can I feed it spinach?

9. Marie1

It is an ongoing debate as far as I know, on what these snails are suppose to be called. Not really worth mentioning.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

As far as I know, it is an ended debate. It is worth mentioning to stop the misinformation :)

11. Marie1

Please let me know where you get your information from.

12. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

I fed it an algea wafer. Can it eat spinach?

13. k

klj7678 Valued Member Member

As far as I know, they can eat spinach, zucchini, and cucumbers. I also feed mine shrimp pellets and I sink regular fish flakes.

14. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Thanks! he is munching on some cucumber:)

15. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I do cucumber and zuchinni, spinach is fine just make sure you rinse it well. Carrots are good too. :)

16. OP
    OP
    Flowingfins

Thanks!