Can Anything Else Go In My 2.5 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by adh/smile, Apr 15, 2017.

1. adh/smile

adh/smile Well Known Member Member

Hi,

I have a male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank. Can anything else go in the tank with my betta? Could shrimp, a snail, or something else go with my betta? Obviously no other fish could.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Shrimp or snails would be okay! I would go with one of the small nerites.

3. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I would go with a Nerite Snail. A 2.5 gallon tank is small for a Betta, so due to the bioload perform a 50% partial water change once or twice a week to keep the Nitrates down: try to keep Nitrates 20ppm or less. You will need to purchase a Nitrate test kit if you do not already have one.

4. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

I've heard that snails produce A TON of waste. Would one or two small shrimp be better?

5. dcutl002

Shrimp may be "iffy" with a Betta...they might wind up on the menu! I have pond snails and I have been discovering empty pond snail shells on my substrate for months. I couldn't figure why they were dying until I caught him one morning picking a snail out of his shell.

6. Paulsz

Paulsz Valued Member Member

You could always put red cherry shrimps in there. At 2.5 gallons though, they might get eaten. If you give them plenty of hiding room (and plenty of plants to hide in too) then maybe they'll live. The larger may be too big to eat but the betta may go for the smaller ones. It's your call, but you could try. Red cherry shrimps are a nice colour and would go great if it succeeded. They also add very little to your bioload, and aren't that expensive.

7. TexasDomer

Snails don't produce a ton of waste, and I think 1 small nerite would be fine in this tank. You should be doing weekly water changes anyway.

8. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

How about a horned Nerite? They are smaller than regular Nerites if I remember correctly and cuter in my opinion:)

9. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Goodness!!! It seems that whichever one I choose, either a snail or shrimp, could be a snack for my betta! What do you guys suggest I do? Just try one or the other out and see what the outcome is? I've also heard that snails can escape the tank. I do not want an unruly snail "racing" through my room!
    I do weekly 80-100% water changes to my tank and the parameters are what a normal cycled tank should be (amm. 0; nitri. 0; and around 5 nitra.).
    What sizes are we talking about here? I've been assuming the neuritis are the size of a quarter.

Here is the decor in my tank so far. Do you think that is enough hiding spots? The betta goes ALL OVER the tank so no matter where the shrimp or snail hides, he could get to them if he wanted to.

10. TexasDomer

Nerites usually aren't targets for bettas - they don't stick out much from their shells, which gives them pretty good protection from inquiring bettas.

11. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Some snails do produce more waste then others. Nerite snails are on the smaller side of the waste scale when it comes to snails that is. It really depends on the betta if he/she would be okay with snails or shrimp. My female betta was okay with Nerite snails, but saw shrimp as food.

12. dcutl002

What she said. pond snails are small.

13. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Thank you all for the great answers!

Lion Heart is a very calm, non aggressive betta. He is literally a big baby! I had him in my 10 gallon with 3 guppies and 2 neon tetras for a month before the guppies got brave enough to start nipping at his fins. (And it was the guppies doing the nipping, not the neons which I thought was strange). Then I had to move him into his current 2.5 gallon tank to save his tail from further nipping. He never once struck out at the guppies or neons.

I noticed a great change in his behavior after moving him into a the new tank. He swims less and doesn't seem as "happy" (if you know what I mean) as when he was with other fish. So I thought maybe a snail or shrimp might "cheer him up" a bit. Though I doubt it since they won't be another fish. But I want to try it.

14. TexasDomer

I doubt he'd prefer to be kept with neons or guppies again (annoying and compete for food, plus the neons aren't temp compatible), but he may be missing his larger tank with more swimming room.

15. dcutl002

I use nothing smaller than a ten gallon for a Betta! Marketing misleads consumers that Bettas can live in containers as small as a thimble...they can't.

16. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

"neons aren't temp compatible" You mean that as in with the betta and guppy temp range of 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit? (My 10 gallon is set at 75 degrees).
    I completely agree with you in that marketing is misleading on betta fish. But I am aware of that and have kept 5 bettas before in this tank and they have all done just fine. Yes they definitely would be better off in a larger tank, I disagree that it is necessary to have them in at least a 10 gallon. That is great that you are able to do that!!! Please don't take my disagreement as criticizing because I don't mean it that way at all!!!!:) I just think that they can be in a 2 gallon minimum. I wouldn't go anything smaller than that though.

17. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

By the way, when I said I have kept 5 bettas in the 2.5 gallon tank before. I mean over the time of many years. I never had more than one betta in the tank at a time!!! Sorry for that overlook!!!:p

18. dcutl002

No worries. As a kid I kept Bettas in small bowls, goldfish in bowls, and I have crammed 100 gallons worth of fish in a 10 gallon tank. I am just trying to find forgiveness in my old age for my sins.

19. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Haha! I'm can relate to that. I should edit that my first betta was kept in a 1 gallon, unfiltered, bowel for the first year of his life. When I put him (and the bettas to follow) into the 2.5 gallon tank I noticed a great difference in their behavior!

20. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Haha! I'm can relate to that. I should edit that my first betta was kept in a 1 gallon, unfiltered, bowel for the first year of his life. When I put him (and the bettas to follow) into the 2.5 gallon tank I noticed a great difference in their behavior!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice