Can Anyone Tell Me Why My Corydora Is Dying?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ariel4891, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Ariel4891

Ariel4891 Valued Member Member

I went to do my weekly water change today and noticed that one of my Cory's was in the corner of the tank, on his side, and gasping for breath. I immediately took him out of the tank so I can get a good look at him. This is what he is looking like. 20180414_091007.jpg

His eyes look like they're bulging, and one looks like it has a bit of blood in it. He is also slightly bloated and his gills do not look good. None of the other Cory's are acting like this. I am doing a 50% water change right now but I don't know what to do. I just tested my parameters and they all look fine. I'm posting the photos because my comparison sheet has been lost, but from the pictures I can see on the internet they look okay.
    20180414_092353.jpg
    20180414_092433.jpg
    20180414_092658.jpg
    I have eight corydoras in that tank, three of them are larger from a previous tank, and five that I had bought and quarantine. They have been in the tank for about a week now. One other corydoras does look kind of big, but I had been assuming that she had eggs. I recently dropped the temperature of the tank to 75 degrees. Could this has caused anyting.? I did it over a period of a couple days so I didn't think it would be a problem.

Can anyone help?

Here is a pic of the big corydora 20180414_092604.jpg

Oh, and here are most of the other ones in a group. As you can see they all look good 20180414_092450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Pop eye or cloudy eye usually show up when the water is less than pristine. The best course of action for anything of that nature is fresh water. Bloating usually show internal problem (parasites or constipation). If you have quarantine put him there if not or even if you quarantine him do 50% water change.
    Hard breathing is sing of ammonia or nitrite or could be some gill parasite etc.

3. OP
    OP
    Ariel4891

I do have a quarantine tank, but when the corries we're done quarantining I put some serpae tetras in there. Can I put the cory in there as well? I have an empty 5-gallon tank, but no cycled media to put in there.

Should I start dosing the tank with paragard?

And also, I did the 50% water change so is it better just to put him back in the tank Since I don't have a QT for him? And then go sit with the paragard?

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

For any suggestions for medications i would wait for more experienced aquarists because i am not sure it is smart move now. I would monitor him for day or two maybe try with clean water and immunity buster in first hand and then as last option use meds beacuose it could stress him even more and you will get opposite effect.

And do you want to move him to qt with tetras. I am not sure, there is chance they will terrorize him so that would be more stress.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2018
  5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd put him in the 5 gal, add a filter, and start treating with an antibacterial. I would not treat the main tank. He'll be fine in the 5 gal, just add a thin layer of sand (better for their barbels than being on barebottom), treat, and do large and frequent water changes as the meds allow to keep water quality under control (use Prime on days when you can't do water changes because of the meds). Don't worry about feeding him - it'll be better for water quality if you don't, and it won't hurt him to go a week without food.

Dropping the temp was a good idea - I'd even go lower. Peppered cories need low temps, 74 F or below. Higher temps will cause problems.

6. OP
    OP
    Ariel4891

I'll do that then. I have a spare AquaClear filter that I can put in there. And all fast him for about a week while I medicate

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Fingers crossed he gets better!

Paraguard isn't a antibiotic, by the way. I might personally go for a mix of erythromycin and kanaplex.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

It probably is an internal (bacterial) infection causing a build up of pressure inside the body (dropsy) : the eyes are bulging. Not a lot you can do I think.

9. OP
    OP
    Ariel4891

I have kanaplex. I'll use that then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice